Author Topic: New to this forum.........  (Read 21745 times)

Stirling Thompson

Re: New to this forum.........
« Reply #15 on: December 02, 2009, 11:14:28 AM »
Welcome back Sherry! I guess a lot of folks must have taken off for the holiday. I went to Maine to help my daughter move into her new home so its been a bit hectic around my house (this was the 3rd trip north in as many weeks) with the move and getting ready for a new grandchild. I don't know what everyone else has for an excuse but its been awfully quiet here on the forum lately. And now Christmas is coming fast so I don't know if the board will pick up a whole lot... we can only hope I guess. At least the membership continues to grow and hopefully some of the new members will take the time to post something.
Semper Fidelis! Semper Familia!
Stu

Thomas Thompson

• Deny Us Not!
« Reply #16 on: December 04, 2009, 10:26:47 AM »
Hello Sherry
  It might be hard to believe, but you are the very first person to comment on the new member packet.  Mary and I have worked hard on providing some items that will say to our new members 'Thank you for joining'.
  I should also give a lot of credit to Donna for her brainstorming ideas also.  We have all been members of different groups and some times you think that all they want is your money, because you never hear from them until time to renew your dues.
  I like to think of each of you as being part of my family - an extended one for sure - but still someone I care about.
     Stu said that most of us are busy with our personal lives and even more so at this time of the year.  He's right and we should all reflect on our our everyday trials and triumphs. However; I hope everyone who reads this will not forget to pick up where you left off and resume posting on our family forum.
  MERRY CHRISTMAS TO ALL OF YOU!

Allan Thomson

« Reply #17 on: January 03, 2010, 04:21:48 PM »
Hello All

Allan Thomson from Ayrshire Scotland. Interested in your aims to bring about a Clan Thom(p)son.

Happy New Year to you all.

Allan

Mary

• Administrator
« Reply #18 on: January 03, 2010, 07:58:18 PM »
Hello Allan,

We have progressed quite a way along our path to applying for formal recognition from Lord Lyon - it's a long road and has involved many letters and much research, but many here have pitched in on both and we've documented some interesting 'stuff.'

Hope you find some fun and information in our pages - do get active and contribute to our research/information. We're a motley collection from all around but have found through DNA testing that we're more closely related than previously assumed.............and from your part of the country! We post all kinds of things and are much like a large family (except we try to keep squabbling to a minimum  ;) and sometimes go off on tangents.

We'll leave the light on for ya!

Happy New Year to you, too!  Keep warm - sounds like Scotland is having a bit of a cold snap!

Allan Thomson

« Reply #19 on: January 04, 2010, 03:51:29 AM »
Hi Mary

Thanks for the welcome.  I am impressed with the work you have all undertaken towards a Clan Thom(p)son.

I traced my own Thomson family to the Parish of Kirkmichael in Ayrshire from about 1800 onwards.  Prior to this I have no firm records but there is a distinct possibility they travelled to the west coast of Scotland from Co Down in Ireland. There appears to have been much coming and going between Scotland and Ireland around this time.

Regards

Allan Thomson

Sis Thompson's oldest

• Sis Thompson at 16...
« Reply #20 on: January 08, 2010, 09:08:28 AM »
Greetings Thom(p)sons!

Welcome Allan! So glad you can join us here on the forum. I'm sure we can learn much from you and we will try to return the favor.

I've taken a little side trip in my family research.... my gggg grandmother Thompson's side. I've found some McCombs, Bairds & Frasers (of the Lovat fame, who knew!?) All this from her Father's (Bowen) side of the family. Robert Thompson still remains a 'relative' mystery. I did find out he was a Quaker in NC and moved to IN but that's about it...........so far, I'll keep looking.

Weather in Madison County, NC? Glad you asked. It is still COLD! I saw 7 degrees on the thermometer this morning. We've been burning wood in both the fireplace and the stove in the basement. Also got 2 more inches of snow.  Still, it's not 3 feet that lasts til May.

Hope everyone is doing well and staying warm!
My best,
Sherry
The bad news? There is no key to the universe. The good news? It was never locked.

John ThomsonHollingsworth

« Reply #21 on: January 09, 2010, 03:53:21 AM »
Sherry, We get daily weather and illness updates from daughter Kate in Marshall.
She took her daughter to work with her in Asheville on Friday because day care was closed.
Kadence pasted everything together and was  singing loudly when Mary called to ask Kate a question.
Yes fun with kids in wintertime.
John

GeorgeT

« Reply #22 on: January 15, 2010, 06:43:52 PM »
Hello All,

I am a "Newbie" also. My name is George Steven Thompson (I go by Steve).
While I am from W.Va.,  my family came from Thompson Vally, Va. (The line crosses back and forth) I have traced my relations (Thompson Line) back to Dunbarton, Scotland. So, I really am a THOMPSON Clan member. Thus, when I found the site, I had to join.

I am researching all my and my wife's ancestors. So, the main lines are me = Thompson, Whitehead my wife's = Roberts, Wine(s).

Please feel free to contact me if you think you may be related.
My email address is:  gthompson42@sc.rr.com.

Thanks,
-Steve-

Thomas Thompson

• Deny Us Not!
« Reply #23 on: January 16, 2010, 01:12:30 PM »
Hi Steve

A very warm welcome to you. Where is Thompson Valley VA? Did your family have any connections to the naming of Thompson Valley?
Tom

GeorgeT

« Reply #24 on: January 16, 2010, 06:15:13 PM »
Have you tried other sites besides Ancestry.com ? While Ancestry is the most comprehensive, there are others.

Anyway, I have a BUNCH of Robert Thompson's in my genealogy (about 2000 Thompsons)
Maybe you could provide more data - DOB, POB, father, mother etc...

-Steve-

Sis Thompson's oldest

• Sis Thompson at 16...
Welcome Steve!
« Reply #25 on: January 19, 2010, 08:21:28 AM »

Welcome to the Clan, Steve!
......I have a BUNCH of Robert Thompson's in my genealogy.......

After spending some time looking, I find Robert was/is a popular name. (I married a Robert) My Robert Thompson was born between 1777-1779 in North Carolina (date & place not confirmed) and died 1850 in Crete, Indiana and was buried in the local cemetery. There is a census that has him in North Carolina in the early 1800's, but I have him marrying Nancy Bowen in April of 1820 in Randolph County Indiana. He was a Quaker and migrated from North Carolina, but again no firm dates for that move.

Not much to go on I'm afraid. I have scoured Ancestry.com and LDS website but keep running in to dead ends. I don't have parents names for him (big handicap); though his wife's family is documented all the way back to the 1400's. Looks like the women kept good notes. ;)

Well, the search is part of the fun, no?

Anybody plan to attend Grandfather Mountain Games in NC this year? I have secured a promise from my "better half" that we will go. It would be s math sin to meet some of you in person!

That's all for now!
Sherry

The bad news? There is no key to the universe. The good news? It was never locked.

Sis Thompson's oldest

• Sis Thompson at 16...
« Reply #26 on: January 29, 2010, 01:25:43 PM »
Snow..........again.  That's all I'm sayin'.

Mutter.............mutter................mutter......

Mary

• Administrator
« Reply #27 on: January 30, 2010, 01:05:44 PM »
Snow..........again.  That's all I'm sayin'.

Mutter.............mutter................mutter......

(Better than us! We were promised 5-8" of snow and I was soooooooo excited (I happen to love snow!) ;D  What we got was snow, alternating with sleet, then snow....ad nauseum and ending with 1/2" of ice on top of it all.  I'd MUCH rather have had the nice snow we were promised!

Daughter in VA said they got 12" yesterday and it was snowing like crazy again today. Now, if I could just get out of here and get to VA...........

Pamela K. Thompson

• Core
« Reply #28 on: February 12, 2010, 06:24:28 PM »
Welcome Sherry, haven't been on in a while but wanted to say hi and welcome. Karma