Author Topic: hey all  (Read 11214 times)

andy murphy

hey all
« on: October 07, 2010, 10:28:14 AM »
Well let me assure u this isn't an irish invasion dispite the name "murphy" my mother is a thomson and i was really shocked to read that there is no thomson clan in scotland as i always assumed there would be as thomson seems about as popular in scotland as murphy is in ireland.
Anyways i'm glad i've found u all and hope that I can offer an australian conection to the thom(p)son clan as i've been able to track down and document two clusters of thomsons in western sydney from arrival to present.
My only drama is when i try to track them back to the UK. lol
I've only started down the family history path about 6months ago and i've finding it fasinating so glad to find like minded ppl who may also be related :)
Andy

PS would also luv to chat to other thomsons in oz to see if we can fill in any blanks in our respective trees.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2010, 10:29:53 AM by andy murphy »

Mary

• Administrator
Re: hey all
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2010, 01:39:38 PM »
Hi Andy and welcome to the Funny Farm!

Yeah....it IS pretty shocking that there isn't a Thom(p)son clan  - BUT we are working hard to rectify that!  We have documented proof of a clan recognized by the Scottish parliament in the 1500s and, even though the chiefly line has died out along the way, we Thoms should be recognized as a clan in our own right. So.....

One of our directors is in OZ......Ernest Thompson so you might want to contact him at ernestt481@optusnet.com.au   Maybe you have some family connections!

Again, welcome and do tell us more about you and your family  :)

andy murphy

« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2010, 01:44:33 PM »
thanks for that mary i will be sure to be in touch with him. As for wanting to know more about my family well it's been really interesting getting to know all these dead people - still a lot to discover but on the bright side I have already discovered a drunk (George Thomson), a gambler (Walter F Thomson)  and a double murderer (Percy Thomson) so i'm sure there will be lots more to come.
A

Mary

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2010, 04:01:54 PM »
Wow!  A true blue-blood Scottish lineage!   ;D

Haven't found my family to be so exciting (I'm both a Thompson and a Gordon)....but I did find a weaver and it must have carried through the generations because I am also a hand-spinner and weaver.... :-\

Mary

Barbara

« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2010, 07:20:07 PM »
Hey Andy and welcome!  Great to have another Aussie Thompson in our family.  :D  Looking forward to your posts.

Barbara
"Kindness is the language the deaf can hear and the blind can see." - Mark Twain

Thomas Thompson

• Deny Us Not!
« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2010, 12:26:50 PM »
Hi Andy
   The last member my mate "Ern" snagged in Os was a Kola Bear he wrestled into a Thompson kilt. So a big welcome to a real live member of our group.
Tom

Ernest Thompson

• Core
« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2010, 10:28:43 PM »
G'day and welcome to the Forum Andy.
Tom. Firstly I am a KOALA not a Kola and though I may look like a bear I am not and never have been one.
I am very proud to be a member of The Clan Thom(p)son Society and happy to represent The Clan at all Australian Games an Gatherings. I do draw the line at international travel (due to the strict quarantine rules) but I am considering Estes Park.
Kindest Regards and
Och Aye from Down Under
Thommo Thom(p)son
(see attached)

[attachment deleted by admin]

Mary

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2010, 10:51:12 PM »
That is, bar none, the cutest kilted bear I have seen! 

I do think you should come up with a kilted Koala though.................. :-\

Ernest Thompson

• Core
« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2010, 01:59:49 PM »
Mary,
That's a great idea I will speak to my tailor and she what she can come up with.

Thommo

Ernest Thompson

• Core
« Reply #9 on: October 13, 2010, 04:10:21 PM »
Tom,
Apologies all round. I just realised that I'm not a Koala but regular Teddy Bear.
I'll certainly get onto my tailor now!
Thommo

Stirling Thompson

« Reply #10 on: October 21, 2010, 11:08:32 AM »
Andy, welcome too the zoo! Feel free to hop right in on any subject. I'm sure Ern must be glad to have the company down under!
Semper Fidelis! Semper Familia!
Stu