Author Topic: Thompsons of Sussex County, Delaware  (Read 9166 times)

Jay Michael of Jay Worth

Thompsons of Sussex County, Delaware
« on: January 03, 2012, 01:14:57 PM »
In the 1700s there were several Thompson families in Sussex County, Delaware. The border with Maryland was up for grabs and there are records in Worcester and Somerset Counties in Maryland and Sussex County, Delaware that relate to my line. The oldest that I have found in John Thompson marrying Elizabeth Ward in Anne Arundel County, Maryland in 1726, but all other references to this couple's descendants are on the DelMarVa. John was born about 1700. He made a will dated 27 May 1768 and proved 15 May 1770 that lists wife Elizabeth; sons Laten, James, John and William; daughters Leah Thompson, Priscilla Truitt, Sarah Carey, and Esther Hutson; and grandsons Solomon and Colleen Carey. The witnesses were Benjamin Phillips, William Sharp, and Edward Carey.
About 1840 three of these families, I believe cousins, bought land in Cass County, Indiana and packed up and moved: James S. (1779) and Nancy, William Newton (1798) and Lupinkster (Marvel) (1808), and James Bayard (1803).
I have been looking for John's lineage for the better part of 20 years without success. Would love it if someone could help me get back across the water. And if anyone has Delaware Thompsons I will happily share.
Thanks, Jay

Mary

• Administrator
Re: Thompsons of Sussex County, Delaware
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2012, 09:44:02 PM »
Sorry, no luck with our line :(

Come on people -----any connections?

MJones

Re: Thompsons of Sussex County, Delaware
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2014, 12:33:35 PM »
Jay:
Have you looked into possibility that George Thompson, who's will was written 8/13/1770 and probated 07/10/1772 also in Worcester County Estates on DelMarVa?  Since both men died relatively close in time and same location, it may be more than coincidence.  I am not sure how much work you have done with early land records in Sussex County and Worcester County but they provide insight to whether either of the men inherited their land or if they purchased their lands. 
I know that you are hoping for someone with a direct line to your genealogy to answer but please feel free to contact me, if you think I can help.  I am not part of your line.
Maggie