Author Topic: New member in Sweden  (Read 5323 times)

Jonas Hasselhuhn

New member in Sweden
« on: August 06, 2021, 03:14:47 AM »
I introduce myself here, a new member with some roots in Scotland on my mother's side. Hence my last name is Hasselhuhn, which originates from Germany and came to Sweden via Latvia during the same time as my Scottish ancestor came to Sweden. But that's a whole other story.

My connection to Scotland and Thomson.
My direct ancestor (12 generations) Colonel Tomas Thomson of Vrana. 
During the Thirty Years' War in Europe, the young Tomas Thomson served in the Swedish King Gustav II Adolf's cavalry. Colonel and regimental commander. Natural Swedish nobleman 1642. Attached is his coat of arms from the Swedish House of Nobility. There are great similarities with Thomson's arms.

He settled in Värmland Sweden and started a family. Married to Catharina Mauritzdotter Murray, they had 15 children.
Almost all the sons followed their father's military career and most fought and fell in various war.

I lack knowledge of where in Scotland he was born. I only have names for his parents and grandparents.

• Father Henrik Thomson. cavalry captain in English service. Married to some Duwall.

• Grandfather William Thomson married Anna Stuart.

Noble Thomson family is extinct in the latter half of the 18th century.

I hope to come across more information about my ancestors in Scotland someday. I understand that it is difficult. On the other hand, it is easier to take part in Scotland's history and culture.
Therefore, I am happy to get in touch with all of you who share this desire to share and learn from each other.