General Category > Games & Festivals

Highland Games and Festivals

<< < (2/22) > >>

Mary:
Kilts are considered sort of like uniforms, right?  And we ALL know about men in uniform.........they're all handsome devils!

Planning the food for the get-together Saturday night at Glasgow.....Pam and I are making barbecue (sloppy joes) and will have hot dogs for kids who may not want sloppy joes.....chips, drinks, desserts and salad.  You will be hearing more about this as we get closer and figure out that we need HELP!

This is exciting ...... a first, for sure!

Mary

Steve Thompson:
Will we be represented at grandfather mountain?

Thomas Thompson:
Hello Steve

You asked yesterday if we will be represented at Grandfather Mountain?
The short answer is no.  We (I) have never been to their games and have heard horror stories about how difficult it is to attend.
I suspect that it might be a great games and would seriously consider going next year.  We received a very nice invatition from the Chair of the Savanna SC games and I think I would like to try that also next year.
   I am getting forgetful - old age - Did I say that we received a very nice thank you note from the Chair. of The Glasgow Ky games and they asked us to attend again next year. First time we have ever received a thank you note from a game/event Chair.
Steve if you go to Grandfather will you give us a report on what teh other clans think about attending, ease of setting up, acess, transportation etc.
  We will have a good representation at the Estas Park games in CO this year.

Stirling Thompson:
Hello!... Hello!... Anybody out there?

Seems like it's been days since anyone posted anything. I know it's summertime and lots of folks are on vacation (including me), but please take a minute and let us know you're here.

I have three of my grandsons with me for a few more days before I have to take them back to Maine. Dottie and I took them to the 6th Annual Blackstone Valley Celtic Festival yesterday and they had a good time although it was a long day, especially for the youngest one. The festival is more Irish than Scots in nature although it did have one pipe band and featured a group called Poor Angus among the musical talent for the day and they had a Men in Kilts contest that I'll have to enter if I ever get my kilt. The festival was held at Indian Ranch on beautiful Lake Chargogagogmanchaugagogchabunagungamaug aka Webster Lake. It's an old Indian word meaning 'you fish on your side, I'll fish on my side, and no one will fish in the middle' so I'm told. I'm also told it's a requirement for local scouts to learn how to pronounce it.

Next month I'm hoping to take the another trip to Maine to attend the Maine Highland Games to be held August 16th in Brunswick, ME. It should be lots of fun. Clan Murray is the Honored Clan this year and the entertainment will feature the world renowned Scottish band the Tannahill Weavers.

Mary:
Hi Stu -

We're still here too......I've been waiting for some 'excelsior' posts to show up too, but guess we're in the summer doldrums.

We've been working on the latest letter to Lord Lyon and more research for it...sent it off, so maybe we'll have some breathing room for awhile.

I'm doing some research on lodging for the Gathering - do you still plan to go? Will it be the 2 of you or more?  Let me know and I'll see what I can find to pass along......

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version