Author Topic: OK, I"M PISSED!!!!!  (Read 7902 times)

Booner

OK, I"M PISSED!!!!!
« on: February 14, 2012, 01:19:02 AM »
After a 2 year layoff, I decided to renew my membership to Ancestry.com and looked at some of the "hints" that are attached to various members of my family tree, in the hopes that some of them would help me out in my search.  I list and credit my resources, because I appreciate the work done by others.  I'm very careful about my research, even about ancestors not in my direct lines, but most of these people who make up the "hints" seem to be the type of "researchers" who just want to add names to their trees and don't let little things like "facts" get in their way. I guess the have a better imagination than I do.

ARE THESE PEOPLE IDIOTS?????

Just a few of the things these people have done with my research;
- as long as a name matches, it's good enough
- don't let little things like dates get in the way of adding someone to their tree
- in 99% of the cases, the females in your tree had a maiden name, so why not use that? (wait, that would involve research--ok, forget that)
- most people don't get married before their 10th birthday
- don't waste your time crediting your sources, The years someone put into research is for your benefit (especially if you do any of the above, because anybody serious about their family history and research wouldn't want to be associated to what you've done.)

It pisses me off that someone would take the work I've done and add it to their family tree first without crediting me, and then bastardize it with some of the things I've listed above.  I guess I should be glad they didn't give me credit.  In the past, I've sent e-mails to some of these people and pointed out their mistakes, but no changes have been made.  I'm not going to do it now because there's just too many.   

I'm kind of sorry I posted my family history on Ancestry.com because of the confusion that these people have caused.

The venting has helped. Thank you.

Regards,
Booner

Mary

• Administrator
Re: OK, I"M PISSED!!!!!
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2012, 06:58:51 PM »
Ahhh lad.........

You're a dying breed, for sure. It's so disheartening to see such an innocent taken advantage of... :-\

They've done the same thing with a lot of the research we've done - mostly on the Eisenbise family and the VA connections to the Byrds. NO ONE can find our Thompsons, so we've been pretty safe there - if WE aren't related to anybody, neither is anyone else!  :o

Chins up...maybe they only had a 10 day subscription and had to make the most of it ?

Vent away lovey.

Booner

« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2012, 07:44:41 PM »
I'm better.  I took a couple of days off so it stopped pissing me off.  I think I'll look at it again tomorrow and not look at the Thompson side so I won't take it so personal

Booner

Michael Thompson

• Unitas et Probitas
    • Thompson Family Web Site
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2012, 02:30:24 PM »
I had much the same problem with Ancestry Booner. There are half a dozen trees listing my Thompson line, and none of them have a clue where the information came from. Add to that that I have good information that there are serious errors in the information and none of them seem to care.

I did have the full Ancestry membership for a while, but the "hints" always seemed to lead either to more wrong information, more undocumented information, or to a separate database for which Ancestry wanted more money. I pursued them for a while, but when none of them seemed to go anywhere at all, I stopped paying that exhorbitant fee. I still keep the $12.95 a year membership just so I can keep my Tree online, but that's about all it's worth to me. I rant on the message boards once in a while about people posting that they want to talk to ANY Thompson, as if we're all genetically related. There are a hundred different lines in that thread, maybe more. It's ridiculous.
The Reivers Ride Again!

William J. Thompson

• Just call me Bill
    • Mr Thompson's Ties & Squares
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2012, 02:42:33 PM »
Yep. I've let my Ancestry account lapse for the same reason. I started finding duplicate cousins in the line, and entire branches that didn't belong, and families with absurd numbers of children that couldn't possibly be correct. It felt so good to add a name to the tree...like you're finally making progress and accomplishing something. It seemed so solid and real to see it there in black and white on the screen. It's heartbreaking to have to prune the tree and realize it was for nothing.

Funny, though, all those wild branches were remote relatives with very full trees. My direct Thompson line still dead-ends and apparently doesn't want to be claimed by anyone;D