Author Topic: One Thompson family in KY - is it yours?  (Read 21762 times)

Mary

• Administrator
One Thompson family in KY - is it yours?
« on: October 16, 2008, 07:19:45 AM »
If your Thompson line could go back to one Joseph Thompson in KY, here is a HUGE Thompson gedcom of descendants in this family. If you have ANY Kentucky Thompson lines, check it out!    http://home.satx.rr.com/controller/Trees/JoeThompson/joe.htm

Mary
« Last Edit: October 16, 2008, 07:22:48 AM by Mary »

A. Thompson

Re: One Thompson family in KY - is it yours?
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2008, 09:34:20 PM »
My father's parents live in Kentucky but his father is from Indiana or Illinois forget which one, whichever is known as being Hoosier state lol

Beverly Kohn(Thompson)

« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2008, 11:59:32 AM »
         My family is all from Kentucky, but none are named Joseph. A little family background, my father is Arthur Thompson, one of seven brothers and one sister. He was in Pattons 2nd Army, tank division in WWII and  4 of his brothers all served in different branches, Him and his younger brother lied about their ages to join. The foot marker on his grave is one year different than his headstone, the foot marker being provided by the army.  His brother Ernest was killed at Iwo Jima,and is included on the monument in Arlington,Virginia. Their father, John Wesley Thompson, born in 1883, we're not sure where,and died in 1937. His father,my great grandfather, was James A. Thompson,born in 1859 in Barren county,Ky. and died in Brownsville,Ky.,not sure what year. His father,my great,great grandfather, was William C. Thompson, we have absolutly no information on him at all except he might have been from Barron County,Ky., around Glasgow we think, we need to go to the library there to follow that lead. That is just about all we know so far, with most everyone deceased it's hard to remember the details, nothing was really written back then, my father couldn't read or write so I'm sure he wasn't the only one. He eventually learned enough to get him through life but that was something he always regretted, and it never held him back. The boys were so young when their mother died and so many of them you can imagine how wild they were as children with their dad out working. After their military times they all settled down to take care of family and that always came first, after the Lord of course, they were very spiritual. I'm very proud of my father and his family and of their values. My fathers immediate family was his brothers Edgar,born 1914-died 2000, Noah,born 1910-died 1982, Harry,born 1912,died 1988, William Almond,born 1918-died 1962, James Edward,born 1921-died 1985, Ernest,born 1924-died Iwo Jima 1945, and their sister, Annis,born 1908-died 1982. That is all the info we have on them and not sure if it will correspond with any one else,but we'll see.
                                       Bev

Mary

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2008, 08:36:51 AM »
Do you know if John Wesley's wife was Bertha?

Beverly Kohn(Thompson)

« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2008, 08:46:30 AM »
           Good morning, Mary, yes  he married Bertha Jane Vincent, daughter of Louis Vincent and Roseanna Morris. She was born, Sept. 11,1889 and died Jan, 24, 1929. Then he remarried a Lela Johnson. I have no info on her.
               Bev

Mary

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2008, 04:31:17 PM »
Found them in the 1920 census....but haven't had any luck with James A. or William C.

Mary

Beverly Kohn(Thompson)

« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2008, 10:22:31 AM »
     Good morning! Thank you so much for trying to look that up for me, it's really appreicated. I do have the names of my Grandmothers if it will help. James A. Thompson married  Mary Lindsey,1880, in Edmonson County,Ky., she was bornAug,1851 in Edmonson,cty.,Ky.- William C. Thompson married  Mary Elizabeth Luttrell,don't know anything about her.  They are all buried in Edmonson cty.,Ky. in an old church cemetary my fathers family attended,but it is back in the hills and is very difficult to get to unless you walk a long way or have a 4-wheel drive and a lot of luck! We will try to find them this spring when we go to decorate the grave yards(family tradition down here). Maybe they're still clear enough to read and can find out the birth dates.  We just found out recently that they were there. I don't believe the church has those records or my cousin would have found them in her search, but I'll double check. Again thank you so much for checking, it is so nice to have people you can talk to about family histories and compare what we've found; am so glad we found the clan at Glasgow you have all been a blessing!
                         Bev

Mary

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2008, 03:50:41 PM »
Ain't family grand!   Cheesy

Haven't found any more of James A...... did find info on his wife back several generations and have emailed it to you.  I haven't given up on James and William...just haven't found them yet!  We have a James A. also, but (darn it!) they aren't connected.....

Mary

Donna

« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2008, 08:01:44 PM »
Well, if y'all find an extra James A. Thompson, from Canada, please save him for me!   Or his father James A. Thompson, from Canada.

Donna
ANY DAY ABOVE GROUND IS A GOOD DAY !

Mary

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: November 13, 2008, 08:30:25 AM »
Will do!

I've taken a 'whack' at your family, Donna, but only found the same information you already have. But, Ancestry.com says they are always adding more and more ancestors and maybe we'll live long enough for someone to post ours! For our lines, maybe it isn't worth continuing the search ........supporters of the Dark Side have made fools of themselves again lately claiming neither Tom nor I are Scottish because his ancestor came over from Ireland (!) ...........they obviously are ignorant of the lowland clearances and WHERE those lowland (Thompson) Scots went (Ireland). If it doesn't involve their teeny clan, it never happened, I guess.  :)  And, although my paternal grandmother was a Gordon and her ancestors were from Scotland, I'm not Scottish either.

Mary

Beverly Kohn(Thompson)

« Reply #10 on: November 13, 2008, 10:37:42 AM »
           Hey Mary! Thank you for the info on my grandmothers family, the Lindseys will appreciate it. They have quite a bit on their family, but every little bit helps. I e-mailed Tom info on the booklet about the Thomsons, hope it helps!
                  Bev

Beverly Kohn(Thompson)

« Reply #11 on: November 13, 2008, 11:01:55 AM »
       Mary, I've read some of the cr-p the dark side is spewing and isn't it convenient how they twist things to what they think is their gain and our downfall? Is it also our Stevie they are bad-mouthing again? Is there nothing they won't do to keep this sh-t going? Just wanted to let you know we have your backs and  long live Thompson pride!
              May we be happy and our enemies know it!!!  Bev

Donna

« Reply #12 on: November 13, 2008, 12:37:42 PM »
I was never associated with the "Dark Side", as I shall call them here, but I have noticed that as our little family grows, they feel the need to make comments. If we appear to be having too much fun on the forum, its like a rock in their shoe.

At some point, I hope "King Elf of the Dark Side" would realize that all the negative statements from a group that is supposed to have Thom(p)son's best
interest at heart, is actually painting a very negative image of themselves. 

Donna
ANY DAY ABOVE GROUND IS A GOOD DAY !

Mary

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: November 14, 2008, 07:42:05 AM »
Thanks, guys.......and you're right. The more we succeed, the more they perceive us as a threat and act in desperation.

And yes, they have been attacking our Stevie, but they're rattling on about a Steven THOMPSON??? They are apparently combining our Stevie with someone Dugald met in Scotland years ago and I don't know if they are the same person or not. We have told him that we don't pay any attention to their BS (except to laugh at some of what they come up with!)....but he feels they are trying to use his past posts to hurt the Clan Thompson Society. So, I don't know when or if we will see our Stevie back on the forum. His email to us stated that 'for the good of the clan' he didn't want to be a detracting factor and was leaving. While we disagree, we have to respect his decision.

As a society policy, we will let their own renewed claims serve to further discredit them. And we'll continue to build our society and do our research and bring our name back into the list of prominent Scottish families once again. THAT is the purpose of THIS society.  :)

Barbara

« Reply #14 on: November 22, 2008, 09:38:35 PM »
Here! Here!  THAT is the purpse of THIS SOCIETY!!!  :D

Barbara
"Kindness is the language the deaf can hear and the blind can see." - Mark Twain