Author Topic: genealogy podcasts  (Read 10126 times)

Booner

genealogy podcasts
« on: April 23, 2009, 08:28:47 AM »
I gave myself an i-phone for Chriistmas and have started listening to pod casts in the last month or so.  I haven't had so much fun with a phone since they invented 900 numbers!

Through I-tunes, i found that they have podcasts regarding genealogy and i'm going to start listening to them.  I'll report back with a review.

Booner

Mary

• Administrator
Re: genealogy podcasts
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2009, 01:36:00 PM »
Ahhhhh....to be a rich Coloradian.......... ;D

Booner

« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2009, 01:45:25 PM »
AHHHHH TO PART OF THE 21ST CENTURY

Cathy McTavish

• Core
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2009, 03:52:25 AM »
Pretty cool.........when my contract with Verizon runs out this summer, I plan on an I-phone also...........I can't wait to find out about this podcast thing.......can you find it on "regular" line right now??

Cathy

Booner

« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2009, 01:04:14 PM »
"can you find it on "regular" line right now??"

I think this is what you can do-- download I-tunes to your computer, then you can listen to their i-tunes podcasts through your computer. i don't think you need an ipod or iphone to download itunes.

there are 4 or 5 genealogy podcast availabel on i-tunes.

the i phone-- in the next month or so they'll be coming out with thier next generation upgrade so you'll be able to do blue tooth stuff over the phone.  but i can't tell you how handy the phone is.  I was paying $46.00 / mo just to have a home phone--so i cancelled that and went all digital.  It does cost an extra amount over the normal cell phone charges because the iphone uses a 3-g network for faster downloads, but the money i saved by giving up the home phone more than pays for that.  the phone has gps, web brousing, e-mail---it's basically a hand-held computer

i had about 2 weeks left on my old contract when I got the i-phone.  I only signed up for 400 mins a month, but since i didn't use it for 2 weeks the minutes weren't used, so they rolled over and saves me about $20.00 /mo because i didn't have to sign up for the higher minute plan.

i think you'll really enjoy the phone--- and it may be the last phone number i'll never need

Booner 

Michael Thompson

• Unitas et Probitas
    • Thompson Family Web Site
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2009, 10:01:39 PM »
A podcast is basically like a radio program that you can download. It's recorded digitally, and then you can download the file and listen to it on your computer or your iPod or anything that is compatible with the file type. It has nothing to do with telephones per se, but an iPhone can also play sound files like an iPod, so that's why Booner listen to it on his iPhone.

Anybody with a Mac or PC can get podcasts. As Booner said, just open iTunes (downloadable for free from http://www.apple.com/itunes/download/), then you click on iTunes Store (I think you need to register with iTunes), then you click on Podcasts and you can enter search terms such as "genealogy" in this case and find what you're looking for.
The Reivers Ride Again!

Booner

« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2009, 02:02:14 PM »
for an interesting podcast ( i've been listening to the show for a couple of days now), go to -->   http://www.familyrootsradio.com  <--

you can sign up for the podcast and listen to the show over your computer.

Booner