Author Topic: "Non-Thompson" Thompsons  (Read 9788 times)

Jim Reed, PA Commish

• Jim Reed - PA Commissioner
"Non-Thompson" Thompsons
« on: May 30, 2009, 05:47:21 AM »
Being a Thompson descendant, but not bearing the surname caused me to wonder how many of us are there??

Being a Math Major, I am fascinated by numbers.  According to the 2000 census, the population of the of the USA was approx 250 Million with 665,000 individuals named Thompson (21st Most common name in the USA). This means that that there are 27  Thompsons/10,000 residents of the USA. Assuming a binary-type model,  that all the Thompson descendants had an equal number of male/female off-springs and all subsequent families were approx. the same size. (Female Descendant's off-springs would have non-Thompson names after marriage.)  The number of individuals per 10,000 who have Thompson roots after 3 additional generations would be 215, Four Generations  - 432; Five Generations - 864; This translates to over 20,000,000 Thompson descendants in the US. Interesting - We indeed have a population base for growth!

Take these numbers for what there worth, but I we believe we are a lot more of us out there than you might think.

Jim Reed, PA Commissioner
jim_reed@clanthompson.org

Stirling Thompson

Re: "Non-Thompson" Thompsons
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2009, 07:46:17 AM »
Jim,
That is a good point. I have two daughters and no sons so my Thompson branch will technically end with me. I have five non-Thompson grandchildren of which at least two seem interested in our Scottish heritage so I guess we'll see what happens.
Stu
Semper Fidelis! Semper Familia!
Stu

Donna

« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2009, 10:20:33 PM »
As I was telling Jim Reed, my Grandfather had 9 children but only 2 boys to carry on the Thompson name.   I plan to wear my Clan Thompson Society button on my jacket every day..."Fishing for Thompsons" at the Mall, Grocery store, etc.   It's going to be interesting to see how many Thompsons I cross paths with who might not be found at the Highland Games & Gatherings.

Donna
ANY DAY ABOVE GROUND IS A GOOD DAY !

Mary

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2009, 10:36:52 AM »
You go girl!  Wonder if we should call them "closet Thompsons?'  You know, come out and celebrate your heritage!

Pamela K. Thompson

• Core
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2009, 07:25:16 AM »
We are going to wear our CLAN THOMPSON T's at the KC games weekend after next.! I have also been passing the word to all I e-mail in my geneology research. Maybe we'll hear from more!

Donna

« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2009, 07:12:49 PM »
Good on You!   :D 
Please let us know if any of your contacts sign up for the Forum or become paid members!

Donna
ANY DAY ABOVE GROUND IS A GOOD DAY !

arlin payne

« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2009, 08:47:59 PM »
Non Thompson Thompsons? I guess I be one of those types.
Got my Thompson blood from my paternal grand mother. Most
of the Paynes here in Arizona are kin to the Thompsons.

Arlin Payne :)

Pamela K. Thompson

• Core
« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2009, 07:41:26 AM »
If anyone lets me know if they've visited the site I will post. I guess I should ask them to e-mail me if they have . ;D  Karma