Author Topic: Sir James Thompson - Seal & Sword  (Read 10998 times)

Donna

Sir James Thompson - Seal & Sword
« on: July 02, 2010, 04:51:07 PM »
Hey y'all      :D

Does this information sound like it connects with anyone's family tree?
Has anyone ever heard of a Sir James Thompson or this sword & seal?

This is the content of a letter that was written in 1942, by my Grandfathers Nephew, David Collins...

"I remember you asked about the Thompson Seal.  Well, naturally it belongs to the Thompson's.  It was to be handed down to the oldest son in each generation and the oldest son was always supposed to have the name of James.  By right, George should be having it now, then Harold and then his oldest boy and so on.  I don't know if they want it.  I would love it myself and so would Norris or Dottie; in fact, any of my family would be proud to own it. George is getting pretty old.  Harold has T.B. in both lungs and I am not acquainted with Harold's family so I don't know if it would be taken care of or not, but it is really up to George to decide who should have it.  Wish the decision could be in my favor but don't supposed it could.  I believe it was given to my father's great grandfather or perhaps grandfather when he was knighted before leaving Scotland and England.  That was at the time the beautiful German silver sword was given him (the sword was left in Louisiana when we came North).  He was knighted for some special act of bravery during one of the numerous wars. He was called Sir James Thompson and the name was engraved on the sword.  My Great grandfather, who is buried down in Canada was Sir James Thompson so perhaps, and I do believe, he is the same man.  His grave with the marble slab is still there under a big apple tree in an orchard.  I saw it lots of times when we lived there.  He was an officer in the English army when they came over here to fight and he married a girl in some town in Penn.  The Seal is at least six generations old and if Harold's boy is married and has any children that would make it seven.  I don't believe any of them know anything about it except George, and he has probably forgotten it many years ago. Anyway, when you decide what to do please let me know."

This letter was sent to me by the great nephew of David Collins. We are not sure who the letter was addressed to or where the men listed in the letter fall in our Thompson family tree.    My Thompson has named their eldest son James for at least 4 generations that I can trace.     

Thanks,   :-*
Donna
ANY DAY ABOVE GROUND IS A GOOD DAY !

Thomas Thompson

• Deny Us Not!
Re: Sir James Thompson - Seal & Sword
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2010, 10:45:38 AM »
Hi Donna
   I would be happy to help your research into this James. I think we have to start with a complete (as much as possible) list of all your ancestors. From the time line suggested I think James was in the revolutionary wars.
   We should also try to trace David Collins family movements - Where in Canada?, Why was the sword left in LA? Married to who and where in PA?
In short we have to have a time period and a locality. There are several James Thompson's all we need to do is narrow down the possibilities.
Tom

Donna

« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2010, 03:32:43 PM »
Hey Tom,
Thanks for the offer of help!   :-*  If and when I get more info on, I'll send it on to you.   But, for now, I do have another question...
On page 3 of the information on the Home page, there is a list of some 59 Thomson's who were granted arms.  There is a Sir James Thomson listed there!
Do you know anymore about him?  I know that my family name is spelled with the "P" but, who knows???

Thanks again!
Donna

Cathy McTavish

• Core
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2010, 05:25:17 AM »
Donna:

I took a look and I do not think I ever received any information from you, but I could be wrong.  So what every you could get to Tom or I would help a lot.

I am slowly getting through my backlog.  I have just downloaded a new gedcom to rootsweb.

http://wc.rootsweb.ancestry.com/cgi-bin/igm.cgi?db=clan_thompson

I am going through my stack and will be adding to it.  Once I get done with the Thompson pile, I need to spend some time again on my mcTavish family.   I know we don't care about "those guys", but I got some new information last winter than I am anxious to get on my garthbeg website.  I know I am behind, but I would not let myself get to McT stuff untill I had the Thompson stuff handled.

Let me know if I am missing someone.  I recently added the information from:
Bruce Thomson
Michael Paul Thompson
Sherry Lynn Marchand
Linwood Thompson

Have a good one!
Cathy

Allan Thomson

« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2010, 02:33:04 PM »
I can offer the following information about the Sir James Thomson listed on the arms page:

Sir James Thomson, Knight Commander of the most exalted order of the Star of India, Master of Arts and Doctor of Laws of the University of Aberdeen was the third son but second surviving son of John Thomson grain merchant in Aberdeen.  Sir James was granted Arms by the Lord Lyon in 1905.  This presumably places him outside the generation you were researching...?

I wouldn't get to hung up on the spelling when looking at older documents as the spelling of Thomson and Thompson are recorded at various times for the same individual and its only in the last 100 years that the spellings seem to have become firmly stuck.   

Allan

Donna

« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2010, 02:14:33 PM »
Allen, Thanks for the information you posted!  I appreciate it!    ;D

Hey, Cathy "McThompson"  ;) I'm going to gather my information, which isn't much, and will get it to you as soon as I can.   Thanks for your help!

Donna

Donna

« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2010, 02:16:52 PM »
And I do apologize for the incorrect spelling of your name Allan   :'(

Donna

Donna

« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2010, 12:19:06 PM »
Hey Cathy,

The James Thompson b. 1818 Canada, who married Rachel (nee unk) and later my Great Grandmother, Jemima Sarah Ann Rosford, that is shown in the link in your message above, is mine.    But I will try to give you any new information I find.

Sorting these Thompsons is not an easy task and we all appreciate your help!
You're the best!  :-*