General Category > Heraldry

Thomson Motto

<< < (2/3) > >>

Parker Thomson:
I think just what I said- about Scottish Clan Mottos being in Latin.  I also think that if our Clan Society is to have a broad appeal, A Latin motto like Amo Honesta covers the concept of "Honestie is the Best Policie."    However, the last thing that I would  want to do is repeat the mistake of most Scottish cultural movements and defeat it through divisiveness.  Even though we are striving to be a recognized Scottish society, our foundations are in America, the supposed epitome of Democracy under the umbrella of a Constitutional Republic.  Therefore I have stated my mind in the Forum, but I will not be an divisive over it regardless of my strong feelings.  In this case, I will defer to the opinion of the majority.  I do hope that only the "votes" of members (those who have paid for their annual or lifetime Clan memberships) will be counted in the decision.

Mary:
Hi Parker --

No divisiveness here! I was just saying why we picked the motto that we did.  I also think it should be in Latin (if and when and case arises!!!!!) but I haven't got a clue on how to convert it from English to Latin!  French or German, yes............Latin...no. We can consider "shortening" the original too - I think that might be OK as long as we don't lose the basic meaning and keep a nod to the ancestors.

Hopefully, there will be people at Lyon Court who would be able to do that for us!  ???

Stirling Thompson:
The online latin translator says Honesty is the best policy translates to Probitas est optimus excolo.

Mary:
Thanks Stu!

I never thought about the online translation pages..............DUH!

Parker Thomson:
Shorter too than the english.  Fits on the clan badge space better!  ::)  Just sayin'....

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version