Author Topic: BACK  (Read 10359 times)

MACTAVISH

BACK
« on: May 12, 2008, 09:58:18 AM »
HI GANG IM BACK AND BURSTING WITH DATA...YET THE FORUM SEEMS VERY QUIET, PERHAPS THERES NO INTEREST OUT THERE THAT THE THOMS BACKED WALLACE AND BRUCE, THE WORKMAN'S MANUSCRIPT, ETC, ETC????

Barbara

Re: BACK
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2008, 10:06:39 AM »
Yay!  MacTavish is back!  Welcome back, you have been sorely missed.  The forum needed you back to get things stirring again.  ;D

Come on, give us the information we hunger for!   :D

Barbara
"Kindness is the language the deaf can hear and the blind can see." - Mark Twain

Stirling Thompson

« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2008, 11:50:22 AM »
Perhaps this has been the calm before the storm... I've been expecting something to happen but not sure just what.
Semper Fidelis! Semper Familia!
Stu

Graham Thompson

« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2008, 03:02:08 PM »
Ya maybe, *CRASH* *BANG* *BOOM* there we go, that was the calm before the storm, beware all.
Guess what!? I'm here to spread my words of wisdom also. Everybody fear them!!! Hahaha

Mary

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2008, 04:28:57 PM »
TELL, TELL! 

I'm out of town in Virginia for probably another week - only have access to internet occasionally.  Tell us all the news about the Thomsons, Bruce, Workman's Manuscript and whatever else you found!

Maybe it's time to start blocking some of the access, Forum Manager. We have all these people reading our forum but only a handful contributing.....maybe THEY should be the ones getting the benefit of the research. If others want to see it, then they need to start contributing....?????  Something we maybe should look at?

Maybe MACTAVISH's new info should be some of the first blocked to the general public, non-forum members?  We've asked people to help and nothing has happened. Maybe that would wake them up?

At least, send the info to Tom, MACTAVISH!  AND THANK YOU FOR YOUR EFFORTS (as always!)

Mary

DThomps

« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2008, 07:14:30 PM »
Mary, I read your TEll Tell! and am wondering if blocking out the so called non contributors is the right way to go. I became disenchanted with the MacTavish operation because of all of the secrecy and special treatment of a select few. I believe that an open clan is the only way that we can grow and maintain membership. Just a thought. Donald

MACTAVISH

« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2008, 10:23:17 AM »
WELL; I TRAVELLED FROM NEWCASTLE TOTHE BORDERS TO EDINBURGH TO LOCH LOMOND AND VISITED WITH MARY LANGTON EN ROUTE. SHECONTINUES TO BE INTERESTED IN THE THOMS AND HAS UNOFFICIALLY CONTINUED DELVING- DONT THINK SHES DONE YET- HERES SOME DATA FOR YOU.
1)THE THOMS BECAME THOMS CIRCA 1100.THE NORMAN INVASION AND THEIR TREATY/ALLIANCE WITH SCOTLAND WAS A WATERSHED IN HISTORY. PRIOR TO THAT PEOPLEWERE KNOWN IN THEBORDERS BYJOBS=IE BILL THE SHEPHERD, LOCATION= BILL FROM KELSO. ETC. THE NORMANS ESTABLISHED SIRNAMES, IE- THOMPSON.
2) WALLACE RECRUITED IN THE MARCHES AND MARY CLEARLY STATES THAT THE THOMS DIDNT POSSIBLY BUT PROBABLY[/u BACKED WALLACE, HE ACTUALLY EXISTED FURTHER SOUTH THAN FILMSAND BOOKS WOULD DEPICT. THE HIGHLANDERS WERE SHORED UP BY THE BORDERERS AND THEY TOOK THE BRUNT OF ENGLISH ATTACKS.
3)LIKEWISE THERE IS A SURE PROBABILITY THAT THE THOMSBACKED BRUCE AT BANNOCKBURN, BRUCE RECRUITED IN THE MARCHES. DONT FORGET THAT BRUCE'S BROTHER EDWARD TOOK JOHN THOMSON WITH HIM ON HIS INVASION OF IRELAND AT THAT TIME, HE LED PART OF THESCOTS CONTINGENT THAT SAILED FROM AYR IN MAY 1315.
4)THE THOMS HAVE ONLY A VERY FEW CONNECTED TO THE MACTAVISH, PERHAPS 3 FAMILIES IN THE 1600-1700s. THE MACTHOMAS HAVE VERY FEWCONNECTED EITHER .THE MACTHOMAS RARELY ANGLOCISED THEIR NAMES.
5)WHICH IS SURELY LEADING ALLTHOUGHTS TO THAT THE BORDER THOMS ARE THE EPICENTRE OF THAT ORIGIN.

Mary

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2008, 03:29:26 PM »
Definitely sounds like more places to do some research!  Never really thought about a Wallace connection........ sounds great. When I get home I'll see if I can find definitive references!

Donald - one reason I was thinking about restricting some access is partly this:  Membership to Clan Thompson Society will be starting by the end of the month. Full access to the forum is something that paid, supporting members would get along with more in-depth genealogy research. Those who pay their memberships should get SOMETHING extra for it over those who simply drop in and read. Our get-togethers are basically for paid members, but others are welcome to come. I'm sure the newsletters will become more formal as we go along too ..........what do other clans offer as incentives to their members versus the casual "observers?"

Mary