Author Topic: Loch Norman Highland Games - April 16-18 2010  (Read 20804 times)

Mary

• Administrator
Loch Norman Highland Games - April 16-18 2010
« on: February 06, 2010, 06:27:52 PM »
Loch Norman Highland Games
We've been invited to participate in the Loch Norman Highland Games, Huntersville, NC in April this year. We were there once and it was a great games. It would be the first time Clan Thom(p)son attends, so it would be really great if we could have a good showing of members.

Check out the website at http://www.ruralhillscottishfestivals.net/  There are lots of things to do in the area, so you could plan to make it a real family vacation!

Let us know if you plan to attend!

Mary

Sis Thompson's oldest

• Sis Thompson at 16...
Re: Loch Norman Highland Games - April 16-18 2010
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2010, 07:50:38 AM »
WOO HOO!
These Games will be close enough to me for a day visit!
I'll keep you posted on what my schedule will allow and I am willing to do some "tent time" while I'm there.
Cheers,
Sherry
The bad news? There is no key to the universe. The good news? It was never locked.

Michael Thompson

• Unitas et Probitas
    • Thompson Family Web Site
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2010, 09:49:49 PM »
Great news Mary. A bit too far for us western Thompsons, but we wish you all the best.
The Reivers Ride Again!

Mary

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2010, 08:11:36 AM »
GREAT, Sherry! 

We'll look forward to meeting another 'cousin'!  Do keep us posted so we can arrange our schedules!

Mary

GeorgeT

« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2010, 03:44:47 PM »
Mary,

I indeed hope to attend the 16-18 April games in Huntersville, N C.
With luck, I will convince the wife to join me.

Either way,  it is on my calendar.
-George (Steve) Thompson-

Mary

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2010, 12:32:55 PM »
Super!  The more, the merrier!

Do work on your wife....we'd love to meet her too.

A couple of us are renting a house about 15 minutes or so from the event and plan on having a get-together on Saturday after the games.... bring your drinks and meat for the grill and we'll sit around and enjoy! We'll be talking about this more as we get closer - since we have the house and a grill, it sounded like a good chance to relax after the games, get to know each other a bit, and not have to spend so much money going "out" to eat...........we'll grill!

See you at the games!  ;D

Sis Thompson's oldest

• Sis Thompson at 16...
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2010, 02:14:04 PM »
Mary!

Looks like the ride to the Loch Norman Highland Games will be two and a half maybe three hours (if you believe MapQuest) so I'll be there sometime around 11:00AM on the 17th. I hope to ride my motorcycle, so I may be there quicker.

I'll jump in for tent time when ever you need someone, just give me a bit of time to see what there is to see. I'll have to leave around 4:00 or  5:00, the hubby has to work on Sat and he'll be anxious that I'm out on the bike without him, riding in the evening.

I'm excited! I just sorry I won't be there for the calling of the Clans...........but I'll see that at Grandfather Mountain.

Til then.......
Sherry
The bad news? There is no key to the universe. The good news? It was never locked.

Mary

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2010, 08:10:27 PM »
Sherry -

We'll be waiting at the tent! I wish you could stay longer, too..........maybe we can do better with scheduling next year!

There will be enough of us there for you to get to see lots of the games - not to worry!

You'll have to give us a report on Grandfather Mountain.....Tom and I have never been there. I guess GETTING to the games is one of the problems!

See you in Loch Norman!

GeorgeT

« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2010, 07:07:27 PM »
Mary,

It looks like I will be going to the games in N. C. 16-18 Apr.
We may be staying with friends in Salisbury - don't know yet.
Will post when I have somethimng definate on the lodging situation.
Otherwise, I will see all there,

-Steve-

Mary

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2010, 08:26:34 PM »
Super! ;D

I'm hoping we will be able to have a cookout at the house we rented Saturday night after the games. One of those BYOB and BYO meat for the grill!

We're going to contact the landlord and see how many cars we can park at the place - I think it's 4, and we're going to have a lot more cars than that! Maybe there's someplace nearby we can overflow into.........or drop cars and shuttle with one......we'll think of something!

See you there!!!

Sis Thompson's oldest

• Sis Thompson at 16...
« Reply #10 on: April 16, 2010, 06:32:26 AM »
Gas tank full? check!
Map at the ready? check!
Thom(p)son tartan packed? check!

Thrilled to be going to the Loch Norman Highland Games?
 Double CHECK!!!!!

See all ya'll tomorrow!
Sherry

Mary

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: April 16, 2010, 08:04:54 AM »
We're there!  It's beautiful!  CHECK!

Leaving in a couple of minutes to set up the tent ........Tom says "double check!"

See you tomorrow!

Mary

GeorgeT

« Reply #12 on: April 18, 2010, 08:33:26 AM »
Just got back from the Lake Norman Games in Huntersville, N C.
WOW !!! I never really thiught or realized there were so many CLANS in America.
There were a BUNCH. I had a blast and met lots of people. Most of them were from other clans (I qualify on the maternal side) Quite a few were Thompson's that did not really know of us.
Anyway, if you did NOT get there, you really missed out.
My deepest KUDOS to Tom and MARY. Evon thogh Mary was under the weather (something she ate) she and Tom did a Bang Up job on the tent and all.
I helped a little, but, Mostly I just talked to the people. There appeared to be about 5,000 or so.

Anyway, I am going to attempt the games in Maryland in May and DEFINATELY the Glasgow games in June. While I live in the Charleston, SC Area I really feel this is a worthwhile thing.

See you there.

-Steve-

Sis Thompson's oldest

• Sis Thompson at 16...
« Reply #13 on: April 19, 2010, 08:58:12 AM »

Greetings Thom(p)sons!!!

Ahhh....where to begin.......

I had the BEST time at Loch Norman Games,  my first and most assuredly not my last!

Tom and Mary, I was so nervous (imagine me nervous!) when I saw the Clan tent not knowing what to expect. But when I walked up and introduced myself you were both so gracious and welcoming. Mary, thank you for making sure my sash was correct and all the history of the Clan you had to share.  Tom, you cut a vera fine figure in a kilt and you have such a way with the people who came up to the tent not knowing anything about Clan Thom(p)son. I could hear your calm voice explaining things even through the hurley burley of the crowd. You and Mary are walking history books for the Clan. I am astounded at depth of your knowledge. Many thanks for taking me in and feeding me Saturday night. I felt like I was at a family reunion! Your Daughter and her boys treated me like they always knew me. I can't say enough about your hospitality!

Harold and Patsy. You two were so welcoming to me. Both of you have that twinkle of mischief in your eyes. Harold (aka Tommy), I so enjoyed chatting with you at the tent, I felt as though I'd known you for ever. Patsy, you were so sweet to me. Remember our conversation as we walked to the car about the difference between a kilt and a skirt? I chuckled to myself all the way home about that.

Fred, you rascal! Next Games I'll have me own flask to share! You looked vera fine in your kilt as well! I'm glad I got to meet you and your lovely wife and I look forward to seeing you both in Hendersonville at the Foothills Highland  Games. You WILL be there, Yes?

To All: I will be giving serious thought to our conversation about commissioner. (I think I have that right.)  Anyway, I am thinking about it and will let you know my decision. I will say it won't be this year, my man is not one to rush into things and I know I will need his support to do the job right. However, in the meantime if the games are close enough and I can get there I will be happy to work the tent and help out!

".....so fill to me the parting glass, goodnight and joy be to you all..."

I remain your Thom(p)son cousin,
Sherry

All the rest of you Thom(p)son......get thee to the Games!

Mary

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: April 20, 2010, 08:07:53 PM »
Hi Steve and Sherry!

Didn't we just have the best time!!! You're right, Sherry - it's like a family reunion because we emphasize that we aren't just a 'clan' by name, but also by desire. We want everyone to feel this is an extended family. When it becomes just a 'club,' I'm outa here!  :(

Steve - I can't believe all the research you've done and how you can remember so many relationships and descendants! It fairly made my head spin and you talk about them as if you saw them just last week - it was really neat. Your passion just radiated from you and was infectious!

Sherry - you were a ray of sunshine. You are just like the posts you've made - happy, excited, interested, and involved. We hope you (and hubby, of course) will consider getting even more involved with your clan. You're so outgoing, it'll be easy.....

I wish I had more time to write about what a wonderful weekend it was. The weather was beautiful, people were obviously high on the games and the sunlight, the bands (how many there were!) were amazing, the food was plentiful and varied (I really liked the roasted turkey legs - yeah, I know, not very Scottish!) and we have already confirmed our spot for next year.

For those of you who didn't go, you missed a heck of a games. It's far larger than Glasgow, KY and laid out better than Stone Mountain. If you add a new games to your plans next summer, you couldn't go wrong by making it the Loch Norman Games ......3rd weekend of April every year!

Mary
« Last Edit: April 23, 2010, 09:40:28 AM by Mary »