Author Topic: Importance of Thompson Genealogy  (Read 22702 times)

Thomas Thompson

• Deny Us Not!
Importance of Thompson Genealogy
« on: January 06, 2008, 12:16:17 PM »
I urge all of you having Thom(p)son surnames to post your genealogy links/stories to Scotland.

First we need to be able to identify with locations (villages, churches, etc.) for official recognition.  Additionally a great number of us do not have proof of our claims to descend from Scottish ancestors.  Because most of our ancestors traveled in groups of kin, we need to compile a great deal of history. It is only by tracing the known migration of different families from village to village and then to Ports, Ships and Countries; that we will be able to help others find their roots.  That is the real purpose of forming a clan of Thom(p)sons.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2008, 02:07:06 PM by Forum_mgr »

Graham Thompson

Re: Importance of Thompson Genealogy
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2008, 03:10:15 PM »
Honestly all i have is the past 2 generations. The generation before that came fom europe so i dont know anything past that.
Guess what!? I'm here to spread my words of wisdom also. Everybody fear them!!! Hahaha

Moira

« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2008, 10:43:34 AM »
Hi Graham,

Why don't you post what you have and maybe some of the rest of us can help!

If we don't know who you're looking for, we sure can't!

Cathy McTavish

• Core
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2008, 08:06:37 AM »
Graham, you forget, I got 6 generations for you!!!   Here is your 6th generation.  It does not go back to Europe, but to Nova Scotia.  I will resend the complete report to you by e-mail!
Cathy

32.  Joseph Oxley Thompson, born 20 Jun 1806 in Cumberland, Nova Scotia, Canada.  He married 33. Mary Catherine Dixon.
   33.  Mary Catherine Dixon, born 20 Jun 1810; died Aft. 1881.

Children of Joseph Thompson and Mary Dixon are:
   16   i.   Joseph Thompson, born 19 Apr 1849 in Nova Scotia, Canada; died 1931 in White Mouth, Manitoba, Canada; married Lucinda Johnson 01 Jul 1874.
      ii.   Mary Ann Thompson, born 05 Nov 1828 in Nova Scotia, Canada; died 16 Apr 1835 in Cumberland, Nova Scotia, Canada.
      iii.   Ralph Thompson, born 08 Sep 1830 in Nova Scotia, Canada.
      iv.   Matilda Thompson, born 20 Oct 1832 in Nova Scotia, Canada; died 03 Dec 1844 in Nova Scotia, Canada.
      v.   Letitia Thompson, born 16 Nov 1843 in Nova Scotia, Canada.
      vi.   Matilda Thompson, born 16 Nov 1843 in Cumberland, Nova Scotia, Canada; died 1848 in Cumberland, Nova Scotia, Canada.
      vii.   Evelina Thompson, born 14 Sep 1845 in Little River, Cumberland County, Nova Scotia; died 29 Mar 1930 in Cumberland, Nova Scotia, Canada.

Forum_mgr

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2008, 10:30:32 AM »
Graham.......you FORGOT you got genealogy information???   ::)   ;D ;D

Cathy, maybe you need to give him a 'thump' alongside the head to remind him!  ;D

Graham Thompson

« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2008, 01:03:59 PM »
Hey hey hey!!! I didnt forget, I just didnt have that far back. Theres a difference. But I do appreciate your help, from everyone. I just wish I knew more about my ansestries from europe.
Guess what!? I'm here to spread my words of wisdom also. Everybody fear them!!! Hahaha

Booner

« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2008, 06:02:43 PM »
Hey Graham!!!!

Here's your family--->>>
http://www3.telus.net/chignecto/thompson/index2.htm

It was slow at work and I was doing some surfing- I came acrost this family and Just happened to have your (well Cathy's posting) of you family open and Jeseph Oxley Thompson and Mary Catherine Dixon match up
---You're English !!!!!  Well from Yorkshire, So maybe you're Border English.. so maybe we'll keep ya anyway ;)

Joseph Oxley thompson father was Ralph B Thompson who's father was Richard who's Father was John Thompson 1737- 1824 & Mary Sunley 1703-?  ( can't beleive those dates, your gggg grandma robbed the cradel) of mYorkshire Eng. Whose descendants migrated to Nova Scotia/New Brunswich Canada.

ok, now get off your duff & find my family!

with the very best regards,
Big T

Graham Thompson

« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2008, 02:26:37 PM »
I have no clue what im looking at. Theres a bunch of surnames but I dont no where to look. And from what my grandparents told me I dont have English blood at all. I read somewhere that the name Thompson spelt with a p come from part of england but they were never english just scottish people who moved there.

Booner

« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2008, 06:47:43 PM »
ok Graham,

Lets walk through this...

4 or 5 posts above Cathy gave you you're 6th generation of Thompsons---is it correct that you are related to Joseph Oxley Thompson & his wife, Catherine Dixon?   Since Cathy gaved that to you, I gotta beleive you are.  The Celtic Warrior Princess would not make a mistake that that.

So assuming that info is correct, we can go about this one ot two ways-

the 1st way-click on this link and you'll go to Joseph's page--->     http://www3.telus.net/chignecto/thompson/aqwg09.htm#31986

You'll notice the number "103" next to Joseph's name. All of the great grandchildren of John Thmpson & Mary Sunley will have a 3 didgit number.  You'll notice that there are three names to the right of Joseph's, Raplh B, Richard, and John.  Thes are joseph's father, grandfather & great grandfather.  Click on Ralph B's name and you'll go to his Family (wife & children) Ralph's number is 18, all grandchildren of John will have a two didgit number. NExt to Ralph's name is Richard & John ( Ralph's father & grandfather) click on Richards name and you'll see his family. Richard's number is 5, all children of John's will be a single didgit number. Click on JOhn's name and you'll get to his family sheet.

The 2nd way--
click on this link again--->http://www3.telus.net/chignecto/thompson/index2.htm

You get a surname list of the decendants of John Thompson.  close to the top of the page is an alphabet;  click on "T."  You'll get a list of all people with a surname begining with "T" who are related to John Thompson.  Find Thompson and click on that.  From the Thompson surnames, find " Joseph Oxley b.1806 and click on that.  You'll go to Joseph's page. Again, you'll notice the number "103" next to his name.  From this point, follow the instructions I gave you above (for the 1st way), and you should get back to John Thompson.

Regards,
Big T

Cathy McTavish

• Core
« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2008, 06:41:03 AM »
Nice job!!!   I will have to take a closer look at this and get it added to our database!

Graham, you have made the leap to Scotland, do you know how lucky you are!
Cathy

Cathy McTavish

• Core
« Reply #10 on: January 21, 2008, 08:34:46 AM »
I have just updated our genealogy data base, we have 1,399 individuals, 337 marriages.  OPur ancestors had an average life span of 67 years, the earliest birthdate was 1735, it includes 15 generations and 291 surnames.  You can browse it at

<a href="http://worldconnect.rootsweb.com/cgi-bin/igm.cgi?db=dunardry">dunardry </a>

question for you all...................should we change the title???     It really is a Thompson data base.................should we change the name of the organization????

what do you all think???

Cathy

Cathy McTavish

• Core
« Reply #11 on: January 21, 2008, 08:42:06 AM »
Graham, you reallly  hit the jackpot!   Not only do youhave names, you have history!!!!!

The Thompson Family of Oxford ,Nova Scotia
Settlers from Yorkshire,England

The following History of the Thompson's was written by Gretchen Clara Thompson starting around 1950,it is around 80 hand written pages,and I am reproducing it as it was written. Gretchen Clara is my Aunt,and the daughter of James Hiram Thompson of Oxford NS. At this time [Feb 2000] she is 96 years young and living in Vancouver BC.

Richard Thompson ,the founder of the Town of Oxford,Cumberland County,NS,is the first Thompson we have a record of.He was born in Yorkshire,England in 1744,A tennent on the Estate of a Lord Bruce.
    England was in a state of depression in the 1760's following years of war,estate taxes were high and rents of tennent farmers had greatly increased causing hardship and discontentment.At this time thousands of acres of land in Nova Scotia were being granted to men of influence and speculators with the hope that they could persuade farmers to emigrate to Nova Scotia.
     In 1764 a grant of 20,000 acres was given to Michael Franklin in the River Hebert -Chignecto Isthmus of Cumberland County,which became known as Franklin Manor.The area had been in the possession of French Settlers,in 1755 it was lost by France to England and the outcome was the expulsion of the Acadians.
Michael Franklin was born in Devonshire England in 1720.He was a relative and protege of Governor Legge of Nova Scotia and came to Halifax in possession of 500 pounds.Shortly after his arrival he opened a "dram shop""on the Halifax waterfront,later imported fine wines and soon became a prospeirous bussness man.In 1762 he married  a grandaughter of a prominent Boston family.In 1766 he was appointed Lt Governor of Nova Scotia.
    The first farmers he persuaded to settle on his manor came from the New England States. Some of them were indifferent farmers,and soon became discontented ,and returned to there former homes.Franklin returned to England in 1769 to settle personal business affairs and stayed there till 1771,while there he got the ear of the Duke of Rutland,told him of his 20,000 acre Manor in Nova Scotia and his need of farmer settlers.He wanted only industrious men willing to work and eager to come to a world of new opportuity.The unhappy Yorkshire tennent farmers were impressed with the information of the fertile land available,at the low rate of one penny rent per acre for the first year and two pennies the following year.No financial assistance was offered or to be received.Close to one thousand Yorkshire tennents decided to emegrate to Nova Scotia and settle on Franklin Manor.The plan was so successful it was abandoned within a few years as England  felt too many tennent farmers were being lost.
March 16 1772  The first settlers sailed from Liverpool on the "Duke of York" and reached Halifax 46 days later.They went by coastal schooner to Fort Cumberland and arrived there May 21 1772,two months after leaving Liverpool.
1773  A second shipload of Yorkshire settlers arrived in Halifax
1774  Nine ships sailed from Hull bringing the rest of the settlers to Halifax,the last ship reached port the end of June 1774.Richard Thompson arrived on one of these ships in 1774,thought to be either "The Two Friends" or the "Albion"
Many of the new settlers left Halifax for Fort Cumberland by costal schooner,but a number of men decided to walk.They were accompanied by guides but with just trails through the forest,few settlements along the way it could not have been an easy journey.
   In Fort Cumberland they were given temporary lodging until suitable farm land was located. Fort Cumberland was originally Fort Beausejoir and had been built by the French,when it came under control of the English in 1755 the name was changed to Fort Cumberland. In 1926 the surrounding area became one of Canada's National Parks and the name Fort Beausejoir was restored..
   Through the efforts of Michael Franklin,the Yorkshire settlers came to Nova Scotia.He was Lt Governor 1766-1776.
He was said to be a well liked man,interested in the welfare of the settlers. He later assisted in the return of some of the Acadian refuges.Refuges wanting to return were offered a land grant of 80 acres if they would swear allegiance to
England ,and a number of them returned to Nova Scotia to live.Franklin was also interested in the welfare of the indians,who apparently held him high regard.He died November 8 1782 ,at the age of 62 years and is buried in Granville Nova Scotia.
Richard and Dorthy [Patton] Thompson
Richard Thompson   1744-Oct 10 1821
Married  December 4 1774
Dorthy Patton [no statistics]
    Richard Thompson was born in Yorkshire England in 1744 .He arrived in Halifax NS in 1774 on a ship bringing settlers destined for Franklin Manor in the Chignecto Isthmus of Cumberland County,Nova Scotia..He settled on land in the Pointe de Bute area ,close to the present boundry of the Province of New Brunswick. On December 4 1774,he married Dorthy Patton,daughter of Mark and Sarah Patton,settlers from the New England States. They were of Irish decent. The story is that she was attending school in Boston,and had to return home to care for her mother who was ill.
She and Richard met at some time in 1774,and were married in December of that year.The only other member of the Patton Family we have a record of is Mary Patton,a sister of Dorthy.Her story is interesting and is included here.
  Mary Patton married John Allan of Inverma Farm,Pointe de Bute,NB. The book "Forts of Chignecto" by Clarance Webster published in 1863 states that " the best preseved portion of a old French road,ten feet wide,is on Inverma Farm and runs from near the house to Bloody Ridge,a distance of 300 yards.
   John Allan,later known as Rebel John Allan was born in Edinburgh Scotland,January 14 1747,the son of a Officer in the army of King George II of England.He came to Halifax with his parents in 1749,and was educated in Mass,USA.
   In 1767 he was living in Cumberland County Nova Scotia and in 1770 was elected to the County Assembly and appointed Sheriff,holding this position until 1776. After their marrage Mary and John Allan lived on Inverma Farm.
    At the time of the American War of Independance John Allan's sympathy was with the New England States. In 1776 a meeting was held in his home,attended by many settlers also anxious for Nova Scotia to become an American State. January 4 1777,Allan went to Washington's headquarters and spoke to the Continental Congress. He was appointed a Infantry Colonel,and Superintendent of Indians. In1777-1778 he and a Colonel Jonathan Eddy led severial uprising's in Nova Scotia which were defeated. Allan was declared a traitor and fled to Maine to escape arrest.
    English troops invaded Inverma Farm and fighting took place. Fires were set by the soldiers and many of the farm buildings destroyed. Mary and her children hid in the woods for several days,her father Mark Patton,came to her rescue and took them into his home. Mary was arrested and taken to Halifax and detained for 7 to 8 months,she was finally released and allowed to join her husband in Maine. Allan retained his rank as Colonel and also his position as Supt of Indians[it was important that the indians were loyal to the American cause]with his headquarters in Machais,Maine. He was given a grant of land in the Ohio Valley but continued to live in Maine.He was said to be a Merchant on Allan's Island for a time and also lived Lubec ,Maine. In 1783 he resigned his Commision and moved to Lubec Mills where he died Febuary 7 1805,at the age of 58 years.[Much of the information on John Allan came from a Encyclopedia and books in the Vancouver Library.. We have no further information on the Patton Family or Mary Allan after she was allowed to join her husband in Maine.They lived in a time of much trouble and divided family loyalties. It is hoped that in a time of peace they were able to see relitives in Nova Scotia again.Maine is next to New Brunswick,so perhaps they kept in touch..
Richard and Dorthy Thompson lived in Pointe de Bute until 1791. They left there when there son Ralph was 17 years old,Richard 15 and Mark 13. They came down the coast of Nova Scotia by ship and went up the River Philip to where it meets the Black River.At this site on Febuary 1st 1792 he bought 1500 acres from William Allan for 70 Pounds Sterling.This was part of the Allan Family land grant of 1785. It is now the location of the Town of Oxford NS.
There he built a log dwelling for his family. He later received a Government Grant of 60 pounds to assist in the building of a saw mill. This was the first sawmill in the area and was powered by a water wheel.
   Newcomers settled along River Philip,the place was first known as River Philip,then Head of the Tide,and also Slab Town,because of the piles of slabs from the mill. In 1867,the year of Confederation,it was offically named Oxford
Richard built the first frame  house in Oxford ,it was two stories high, and had 5 old fashioned fire places.[In the 1980's the site is occupied by the local curling rink].The sawmill operation was a success and Richard prospered.In 1820 he gave a lot of land for the town's first grave yard, and in 1854 his son Richard gave the adjoining lot for a Methodest Church ,which was built in 1855.In 1916 a monument was erected in the old grave yard inscribed-
In Memory of Richard Thompson
The First Settler and Pionier of Oxford
who Died in 1821,aged 77 years
Erected 1916
When visiting Oxford in 1945 I saw Richard's grave stone inscribed "I shall go to him but he shall not return to me
Samuel 2,13-23",and wondered if it had been placed by his wife Dorthy.I could not find a stone for Dorthy and have no knowlage of the date of her death.When I visited in 1975,I found Richards stone broken and discarded.This first cemetry was used 1820-1875,now it is a small park like area with all the stones removed,only the Monument to Richard Thompson remains,on the ajoining lot a United Church now stands..
   The 1791 Capitation Report for River Philip shows that Richard Thompson paid a tax of 2 shillings,6 pence,in 1795 he paid 8 shillings,his signature is on the report. The old Capitation Tax records list only the name of the head of the household and the number of males and females of the dwelling.The English monetery system was in effect for a number of years until the 1800's.In those years one pound was worth many,many times it's present day value,1980.
Children of Richard and Dorthy [Patton] Thompson
Ralph--Sept 25 1775--Janury 7 1865--M-Oct 22 1801--Mary Dobson--1783-Aug 18 1845
Richard--1776-1864--M-Elizabeth Read
Mark--1779-1823--M-Mary Read
Abigail--1800-1882--M-J Fillmore--1790-1862
Other children Vital statistics not available-Dorthy-Anne-Elenor-Letitia-Mary-there may have been son William also
Our branch of the family is decended from Ralph and his wife Mary Dobson
Ralph and Mary[Dobson] Thompson

Ralph Thompson  September 25 1775--January 7 1865
Married--October 22 1801
Mary Dobson--1783--August 18 1845
Children--[last name Thompson]
George Dobson--1802-1883--married--Mary Black--1815-1894
Richard--1804
Joseph Oxley--1806--Married-Catherine Dixon
Amelia--1808-1846--married 1826--Stephen Reid
William--1810--married-Frances Tait
Abraham D--1812-1879--married 1840--Evelina Read--1823-1909
Mary--1818--Married 1836--Thomas Dixon
Elizabeth--1820--married William Dobson
James C--1826-1894--married Martha Ann Wood 1840-1924
Edward--1827--married Deborah Embree--B-1840
Our branch of the family is decended from Abraham D and Evilina Read of Sackville NB.
Ralph and Mary Thompson lived in Oxford for the first 14 years of there marrage,six of there children were born there.In 1815 he bought a farm in the Conn's Mill area between Oxford and Pugwash,and there 5 more children were born to them.In 1980 the farm is owned by another Ralph Thompson,a great-great Grandson of the first Ralph.After Ralph moved to Conn's Mills his brother Richard and Mark lived in Oxford,probably involved in the operation of there fathers sawmill.One of there decendents was involved in establishing the Oxford Woolen Mills which remained in business for many years.According to a 1948 copy of the Oxford Journal,Ralph Thompson sponsored a Baptist Church in Oxford,his son James gave the lot that this church was built.The building is now occupied by the Church of the Nazerene..

Graham Thompson

« Reply #12 on: January 21, 2008, 03:56:02 PM »
Thanks everyone for your help. Now I just need to track down my Scotish and Irish ancestors. Damn history and not keeping records.

Booner

« Reply #13 on: January 21, 2008, 04:57:23 PM »
Graham,
What you need to do is take this new information, along with what you have & what Cathy has done for you, and post it in the genealogy section so other can see what you have, and perhaps, someone may find that they are related to you in some way.

Big T

P.S..Cathy,  Since the Genealogy is mostly Thom(p)son --could we change the name to reflect that?

Cathy McTavish

• Core
« Reply #14 on: January 22, 2008, 12:35:23 PM »

Done.....................it will be updated within 48 hours!

http://worldconnect.genealogy.rootsweb.com/cgi-bin/igm.cgi?db=dunardry

even though the link says dunardry, it will be Clan Thompson!