Author Topic: A Thompson from Virginia  (Read 17004 times)

jeremy.thompson

• Harrisonburg, Va livin' Scotland dreaming.
A Thompson from Virginia
« on: May 05, 2010, 09:02:36 PM »
Wanted to say hey to everyone. I hope to find out a lot about the Thom(p)sons from you guys. I'm really excited to see how close my family can be traced back. I still need to get some names from my grandmother, but can't wait to see where it leads me. If anyone in VA has some info on us in Virginia I'd love to see if we might be related in some way. I'm from Staunton, Virginia originally. My dad is Donald Thompson and his father is Glen Thompson. I don't know anything further back as of yet. I've had a love of Scotland since I was in my teens, now 38. Last year or so I've immersed my self in some Scottish sites to further continue my love. Can't wait to chat it up with some of you!!

-Jeremy
« Last Edit: May 05, 2010, 09:04:45 PM by jeremy.thompson »

Stirling Thompson

Re: A Thompson from Virginia
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2010, 10:25:22 AM »
Jeremy,

Welcome to the madhouse! There's lots of info already posted here that you might want to look over, especially the posts that relate to Thompson genealogy books available on the web for free at Google Books and the Internet Archive. Also, be sure to get your family info to our Clan Genealogist if you're a paid member of the Clan Thompson Society she will help you as much as she can as she has access to all our family trees.

Stu
Semper Fidelis! Semper Familia!
Stu

Mary

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2010, 04:58:57 PM »
Hi Jeremy!

Gee....we need to get you really involved and convert you to a commissioner for Virginia!  There are at least 3 nice games there....!

Welcome to the family...we have all kinds of topics here with a mind-boggling amount of info (and Stu's jokes!). Feel free to ask any questions - we aren't shy, but you're liable to get more answers than you bargained for!

Our Thompsons aren't VA.......so can't help you there. What are your mother's and grandmother's names? There are a SLEW of Donalds and Glens!
A woman's name (plus maiden name if you know) can help.

« Last Edit: May 06, 2010, 05:04:22 PM by Mary »

jeremy.thompson

« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2010, 06:17:00 PM »
Thanks for the welcome. I'll try to get more info on grandparents soon.

jeremy.thompson

« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2010, 11:22:15 PM »
Other than names, where do I start? Is there a place that's best to go? I'm a big noob to the genealogy thing. Was looking on here for some guidance, is there a post that lays it all out?

Cathy McTavish

• Core
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2010, 06:44:38 AM »
Just start with the basics Jeremy

Your name - birthdate and place
your fathers name, birthday and place
your mothers maiden name, birthdate and place
both your grandparents, names dates and if they are deceases, their dates and places of dates.

e-mail me at :

mctavish@zimbrick.com

jeremy.thompson

« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2010, 03:06:13 PM »
Thanks, I think that should be easy enough.

GeorgeT

« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2010, 05:47:50 PM »
Helo Cousin..

I don't know how yet, but, I am sure we are related.

My family line started (in this country) in Va. (Wythe Co)

Of course, it really started in Scotland. I jhave traced it bacjk to abt 1350 (James Thompson)
Dunbartonshire, Scotland.

Welcome Aboard !

Later
-Steve-

jeremy.thompson

« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2010, 08:19:58 PM »
Helo Cousin..

I don't know how yet, but, I am sure we are related.

My family line started (in this country) in Va. (Wythe Co)

Of course, it really started in Scotland. I jhave traced it bacjk to abt 1350 (James Thompson)
Dunbartonshire, Scotland.

Welcome Aboard !

Later
-Steve-

Hey, so if I got my Dad's side info you think you could cross reference you info for me? I still haven't gotten it. My sis lives in the same hometown, but I bet she forgot to gather it from him. Dad's name is Donald Glen Thompson and his dad was Glen Thompson who was married to a Martha. I know that isn't enough, but maybe it's a start. I'll try and get more this weekend.

Barbara

« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2010, 09:08:09 PM »
Wanted to say hey to everyone. I hope to find out a lot about the Thom(p)sons from you guys. I'm really excited to see how close my family can be traced back. I still need to get some names from my grandmother, but can't wait to see where it leads me. If anyone in VA has some info on us in Virginia I'd love to see if we might be related in some way. I'm from Staunton, Virginia originally. My dad is Donald Thompson and his father is Glen Thompson. I don't know anything further back as of yet. I've had a love of Scotland since I was in my teens, now 38. Last year or so I've immersed my self in some Scottish sites to further continue my love. Can't wait to chat it up with some of you!!

-Jeremy

Hey Jeremy and welcome to your Clan family.  I've been remiss in posting and I'm sorry for that, will try to do better.  :D

Barbara
"Kindness is the language the deaf can hear and the blind can see." - Mark Twain

Booner

« Reply #10 on: August 24, 2010, 09:09:13 PM »
Jeremy,

You might consider the two week free trial that Ancestry.com has going on right now.  As you enter your family history, if anyone else has put in the same, or close information, you will get a link to that info and it could jump-start your search.  I've been doing the genealogy thing on and off for years and it's a lot like detective work combined with history.

Welcome aboard.

Booner

Coacht21

« Reply #11 on: July 04, 2012, 08:56:12 AM »
I can trace my ancestors back to Harrison County Virginia (Thomas Thompson was actually born in Augusta County Virginia). Thomas moved to Illinois at some point, just not sure when. He was married to Nancy Ann Kincholoe. (Atleast that's what I'm thinking.. I'm new to this research in just the past week).

Mary

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: July 04, 2012, 07:09:17 PM »
I took a look on Ancestry for your family, Jeremy ..............sorry, I didn't get any hits. There are lots of other genealogy sites though and you might find them where you least expect.

Sorry :(

Thomas B. Thompson

« Reply #13 on: July 07, 2012, 08:42:46 PM »
Welcome Jeremy
Wish you the best in research
It's a roller coaster ride some times but the results are great.

Tom (Indiana)

Sis Thompson's oldest

• Sis Thompson at 16...
« Reply #14 on: July 09, 2012, 11:49:08 AM »
Welcome Jeremy!

Yer coz,
Sherry
The bad news? There is no key to the universe. The good news? It was never locked.