Author Topic: Russell County, Virginia Thompsons?  (Read 14294 times)

Wthompson

Russell County, Virginia Thompsons?
« on: June 30, 2012, 12:50:07 PM »
I'm wondering if there is anyone who is related to the Thompson's of Russell County. There were 3 brothers, John, Richard, and William. Anyway, what say you, are you related to any Russell County Thompson's? Here is an article talking about these three brothers http://www.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~varussel/families/thompson/index.html

William J. Thompson

• Just call me Bill
    • Mr Thompson's Ties & Squares
Re: Russell County, Virginia Thompsons?
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2012, 08:10:18 PM »
Hi there! We may not be directly related, but we were practically neighbors! My line goes back to the Clear Fork valley of Tazewell County, which was just a couple hollers over from y'uns.  ;) My ggg-grandfather was John Thompson. (1836-1870) He was married to Martha E. (b 1838)...I can't trace any further back than that. It might be possible they migrated from your neck of the woods in the 1700s...but then again, John Thompson isn't exactly an uncommon name.

Wthompson

« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2012, 11:10:36 AM »
I'm not sure if I'm related to them or not, as I can't get past my ggg grandfather either...William J. born sometime in early 1800s-he was married in 1840, probably to his second wife. I read that many Thompson's can trace their lineage back to John, Richard, or William. But so far, I haven't been able to do that.

William J. Thompson

• Just call me Bill
    • Mr Thompson's Ties & Squares
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2012, 10:03:40 PM »
Oh, I getcha. I thought you'd made a breakthrough and got able to trace back to the Russell County Thompsons! Here I was all prepared to get excited for ya.  ::) Sorry you're still at your Wm.J. wall.

Frustrating to be able to go "just so far and no farther." You're stuck at a William and I'm stuck at a John, both out in the western wilds, both at the "census wall." Just keep pluggin' away...we're all Jock Tamsen's bairns eventually!  ;D

Coacht21

« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2012, 08:24:50 AM »
I've just started tracking my Thompson family history in the past week and have traces my ancestors back to Harrison County, Virginia (Actually to England). J William Thompson is supposedly my 6th Great Grandfather. Unfortunately I have a glitch in my family tree that I can't quite figure out. My ancestors moved to Clark County Illinois. I see where Russell County Virginia is only 30 some miles from Harrison County. Any chance you have information on Thompsons that moved to Illinois?

Thanks,
Mack Thompson
Originally from Marshall, Illinois

Wthompson

« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2012, 08:22:03 AM »
Mack-

I don't have any information on the Thompson's of Russell Co; however, I do have information on some of my ancestors who lived in Illinois...

In 1850, my family was living in Messac co Illinois, they ended up going on to Missouri eventually. Why they went to Illinois from Tenn.-I have no idea. I'm sure there is a good chance they had relatives living there, William J (the head of the household/my ggg grandfather) was born in Virginia, so there's a chance he had a brother living in the area (this is an avenue I have not yet explored).

After the Civil War one of William J's sons was living in Illinois. He was moved from MO to Alton Illinois (Prison Camp). I have not found any hard proof of him living in Illinois (though I did find a Charles J Thompson living in Illinois who could possibly be him-I try not to put people in the tree unless I  know they belong there).

I think that William J, went to Illinois to try and find his son, Charles J, and there is a William Thompson (who fits the age of my William Thompson) living in Marshall Co Illinois with Abram Allen-working on Abram's farm. That is all that I know of my Thompson's living in Illinois. It would be great if we were related through a Charles J. Thompson...but I know it's a big chasm to cover with the Thompson name and finding relatives.

Wthompson

« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2012, 10:58:09 AM »
Mack-

I've recently obtained some information on some Thompson's who moved from Louisa Co VA to Peoria Co Ill. The family is Elisabeth(mother), William, Mary, Malinda, Daniel, and James. The father is unknown to me. William is the oldest child that I know of and he was born around 1807-1809. His middle initial is 'E'.

Let me know if you want some more info on these people. Death dates and Birth dates along with some spouses.

William

kthomp

« Reply #7 on: December 25, 2020, 12:43:20 PM »
I know this is a very old thread but it seems to be the closest I can find to my Thompson line.
My Thompsons, came to Illinois from Wayne Co, Kentucky (George Washington Thompson 1837-1905). They settled in Montgomery and Menard Counties, north of Springfield. The given names of George and William seemed to be very common in the family. I don't know of any remaining family in the area having moved toward Chicago and West to Missouri in the mid 20th century. George's father, Archibald was from VA where he married his first wife in 1814. Does this sound familiar to anyone?