Author Topic: 2011 AGM in Estes Park Colorado  (Read 43210 times)

Michael Thompson

• Unitas et Probitas
    • Thompson Family Web Site
2011 AGM in Estes Park Colorado
« on: January 04, 2011, 05:39:12 PM »
Colorado is proud to host the 2011 Annual General Meeting of Clan Thompson Society. The venue will be the Longs Peak Scottish Irish Highland Festival in Estes Park Colorado. Check out our Facebook page http://www.facebook.com/event.php?eid=177755148922975&ref=mf for more information.
The Reivers Ride Again!

Booner

Re: 2011 AGM in Estes Park Colorado
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2011, 08:39:43 PM »
I don't know how to use that facebook stuff, but I wanted to make sure your son will be playing his pipes again during the parade though Estes Park.  I was just outstanding last year.

Booner

Ernest Thompson

• Core
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2011, 04:43:19 PM »
For those of us who live in the Southern Hemisphere could someone explain what season it will be and the average temps etc during the AGM.
I presume that it may be fall as we will be in spring with temps around 30C.
 Och Aye
Ern

Parker Thomson

• Denego Nos Non!
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2011, 10:50:00 AM »
It's a late fall kind of feel in Estes during September after Labor Day.  Always pack a jacket and have a couple layers.  It could also be like summer, but not hot.  Video from the last one at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g30ZOptx3gc

DENY US NOT

Michael Thompson

• Unitas et Probitas
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2011, 09:20:11 PM »
I don't know how to use that facebook stuff, but I wanted to make sure your son will be playing his pipes again during the parade though Estes Park.  I was just outstanding last year.

Booner

We're planning on it. As far as I've seen, Clan Thompson was the only clan in the parade with its own piper. :-) Maybe we need to write a tune called "Thompson's Farewell to Estes Park" or something.
The Reivers Ride Again!

Michael Thompson

• Unitas et Probitas
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2011, 09:49:32 PM »
For those of us who live in the Southern Hemisphere could someone explain what season it will be and the average temps etc during the AGM.
I presume that it may be fall as we will be in spring with temps around 30C.
 Och Aye
Ern

Ern, the average high temperature in Estes Park in September is 21C, the average low is 3C. A bit over an inch of precipitation falls during the month, though Colorado has more days of sunshine than California or Florida. The moisture can be rain or snow this time of year.

It's usually sunny and fairly warm, but can turn cool, cloudy, rainy, or snowy at a moment's notice. One year it snowed all day Saturday and we awoke Sunday morning to beautiful blue skies and sunshine with three or four inches of white stuff on the ground and mist in the hills. It was a real Highland moment.

There's a reason they call this the Highland Festival. Estes Park is surrounded by beautiful high mountains, many of which are snowcapped all year long. Colorado has more mountains over fourteen thousand feet than another state in the U.S. We don't have the highest mountains, but we have lots of them.

As Parker said, mountain weather is changeable. We always say, "If you don't like the weather, wait five minutes." It can go from sunny and warm to cold, rainy, windy, snowy, and back to sunny again, all in the same day. I've seen it snow and rain from a sunny blue sky. So be prepared for that. It won't be arctic winter, you won't need your heavy winter coat until later in the year, but have a sweater and a windbreaker with you at all times, and maybe even an umbrella. A good wool kilt and woolen hose will keep the rest of you warm, with a touch of the Uisge Beatha when necessary.

One thing many visitors don't anticipate is that our sunshine can be more dangerous than in other places. We have less atmosphere to shield us from the ultraviolet. But it's only dangerous to the unprepared. Wear long sleeves and a hat. Use plenty of sunscreen, SPF 30 or better.

It's also important to be prepared for the altitude. We have less oxygen than you're used to at lower elevations. Ideally, come a few days early and acclimate. At least drink lots of water and get plenty of rest. Don't push it until your body gets used to the idea.

Don't let all this intimidate you. We have gorgeous scenery, a wonderful climate, and amazing hospitality. A great time will be had by all.
The Reivers Ride Again!

Ernest Thompson

• Core
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2011, 10:30:32 PM »
Thanks Michael and Parker.
I got your message on FaceBOOK but due to my inability to navigate that crazy site I don't know if you received my reply.
I think I should forget about facebook and put all my messages here on the Forum.
Chez and I have been researching Longs Peak and surrounds and it all looks beautiful. (Chez's comments). We are really looking forward to seeing you all there.
Do they normally have a formal dinner for us to attend? There is nothing re this on their website.

Ern

Michael Thompson

• Unitas et Probitas
« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2011, 10:36:18 PM »
There is no formal dinner per se Ern, though the Clan could organize something if we wish. There is something called a Tattoo, which is really interesting though. It's based on end-of-day ceremonies at a military post, though it has grown far beyond that. I think Tom and Mary are planning to attend one, and we can get reserved seating for Clan members if we wish. I'll pass along more details as they become available.
The Reivers Ride Again!

Mary

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2011, 10:04:28 PM »
There is something called a Tattoo, which is really interesting though. It's based on end-of-day ceremonies at a military post, though it has grown far beyond that. I think Tom and Mary are planning to attend one, and we can get reserved seating for Clan members if we wish. I'll pass along more details as they become available.

Actually, Ern.....the group that's renting the house (including you two!) already told Michael we all want tickets to the tattoo...just waiting them to advertise them as available. We all want to go the same night, too!

Parker Thomson

• Denego Nos Non!
« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2011, 12:02:11 AM »
We'll do the tattoo with you guys.  We either spent time with family in the evenings or went to the Rock Concert, so the tattoo would be a fun new thing for us. 
Michael is right on about the elements- only a pain for the unprepared.  Since I live and work at an even higher elevation (my house is at 8700 ft), I would also say carry an extra water bottle, take in some extra complex carbs (a banana does wonders because of the potassium and fiber), and count on a little more rest.  This is all to "acclimate". It's usually just for a couple of days until your metabolism catches up.  It's really not a big deal if you are aware of elevation stresses. Just take it easy and pace yourself and have a good time. No big deal.
Cheers,
 ))
((
DENY US NOT

Ernest Thompson

• Core
« Reply #10 on: February 03, 2011, 01:41:22 AM »
Could someone arrange some bananas as our banana crop has just been wiped out by a tropical cyclone that had a front of 500km.
Apart from the crops a lot of structural damage but thank the Lord no deaths.
It will take the banana farmers about 18 months to recover as long as they don't get hit again.
I've been surfing the web and am certain there'll be no probs food wise. Boy there are so many eateries in and around Denver/Estes I wonder if Americans ever eat at home.

Ern

Donna

« Reply #11 on: February 03, 2011, 03:12:49 AM »
I'm just glad to hear that you and yours are all safe and sound!

Donna
ANY DAY ABOVE GROUND IS A GOOD DAY !

Ernest Thompson

• Core
« Reply #12 on: February 03, 2011, 04:42:36 PM »
Thanks Donna. We're a long way from the cyclone but my sister-in-law was almost right  in the middle of it. Just this morning we heard her and her family are safe.
Ern

Mary

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: February 03, 2011, 05:58:14 PM »
hi Ern-

Thanks for checking in and letting us know the you and yours are OK with the abominable weather there in Queensland!

You may as well quit eye-balling the restaurants in Estes Park......remember, we rented a house so we could cook and keep costs down???  I think we might want to treat ourselves to at least one or two meals out...but don't get all excited! Remember - we're there for a week and you have more traveling to do.

:)

Ernest Thompson

• Core
« Reply #14 on: February 03, 2011, 09:39:05 PM »
But Momma I gota try catfish.