Author Topic: Rocky Mountain Highland Games--Highlands Ranch Colorado  (Read 15661 times)

Michael Thompson

• Unitas et Probitas
    • Thompson Family Web Site
Rocky Mountain Highland Games--Highlands Ranch Colorado
« on: July 30, 2011, 09:43:55 PM »
This will be Clan Thompson's third year at the games in Highlands Ranch Colorado. I have been asked to officiate at the Kirkin' of the Tartan on Sunday. Lots of good music and athletic competition at this festival, and a real emphasis on clan activity.

We're in space #29, in the northwest corner of the main field area. Hope all our Colorado people can be there.
The Reivers Ride Again!

Mary

• Administrator
Re: Rocky Mountain Highland Games--Highlands Ranch Colorado
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2011, 07:15:21 AM »
Hi Michael ---

I sent out a reminder to the membership about the Highlands Ranch games (and Estes).

Have a great time and be sure to do a writeup/photos for those of us who can't go   :(

Michael Thompson

• Unitas et Probitas
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2011, 06:44:56 PM »
I got the reminder, thanks. Will definitely do a writeup and photos after.

Cheers!
The Reivers Ride Again!

Michael Thompson

• Unitas et Probitas
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2011, 07:15:10 PM »
Had a great time at the first day of the 48th Annual Rocky Mountain Highland Games and Colorado Scottish Festival. This is a festival that is really big on clan activities, so there are lots of clan tents and booths, and we met many clan friends, both old and new. Talked to several people about resurrecting Clan Thompson and what we're doing nationwide. Of course we invited them to Estes Park. Several were from other states, so we got their information for the mailing list and urged them to visit the web site and join the forum.

As it turns out Booner had to work, but there were four of us in the tent, Parker Thomson, Timothy Thompson, Sean Thompson and me.

We seem to have started a trend among the clans, as there were a couple of others besides us who had a piper in their tent. There are also lots of bagpipe bands at this festival, so it's not surprising that some of the members are affiliated with the clans.

We watched lots of good band, and tried to stay in the shade, which kept moving. Parker was especially warm, having awakened to 32 degrees F and frost on the ground in Winter Park Colorado, so he shed his usual highland shirt for something more comfortable, while Angus Mohr played Highland Rock and Roll in the background.

Having a good time, but the festival's not over yet. I'm officiating at the Kirkin' of the Tartan service tomorrow, and delivering the invocation for the midday ceremony, in between meeting people at the clan booth and listening to some more great Celtic music.
The Reivers Ride Again!

Michael Thompson

• Unitas et Probitas
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2011, 08:03:32 PM »
I'll try to give a more detailed report tomorrow when I'm not so tired, but here's some tantalizing bits about Lowell Thompson at the Rocky Mountain Highland Games and Colorado Scottish Festival on August 14, 2011.

Parker Thomson had gone over to the athletic fields on Saturday to look for Lowell, but could not find him in several trips. Sunday, I learned the reason. Lowell had been down with the flu and wanted to rest Saturday in hopes of feeling better Sunday. He said the sleep helped him, but he still felt off on Sunday and had taken some cold medicine or something to try to be healthy enough to participate in the games. Although not quite on his usual form, he still managed quite some nice athletic feats. Here's a photo of Lowell, getting ready for the "weight for height" event.

Lowell and another fellow managed to throw the 42 pound weight over a bar 14 feet high, as you can see in this video.

Here's another one where he manages the perfect caber toss. The caber has to turn over to count, and the closer it is to straight up twelve o'clock, the better the score. If it leans to the side, the score is lower. Lowell got a perfect twelve o'clock.

Because of excellent performances such as these, Lowell once again was the best overall athlete at the games and was awarded an engraved silver tray.

Congratulations Lowell! More details on the games to come.
The Reivers Ride Again!

Parker Thomson

• Denego Nos Non!
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2011, 02:12:06 PM »
Had a great time at the first day of the 48th Annual Rocky Mountain Highland Games and Colorado Scottish Festival. This is a festival that is really big on clan activities, so there are lots of clan tents and booths, and we met many clan friends, both old and new. Talked to several people about resurrecting Clan Thompson and what we're doing nationwide. Of course we invited them to Estes Park. Several were from other states, so we got their information for the mailing list and urged them to visit the web site and join the forum.

As it turns out Booner had to work, but there were four of us in the tent, Parker Thomson, Timothy Thompson, Sean Thompson and me.

We seem to have started a trend among the clans, as there were a couple of others besides us who had a piper in their tent. There are also lots of bagpipe bands at this festival, so it's not surprising that some of the members are affiliated with the clans.

We watched lots of good band, and tried to stay in the shade, which kept moving. Parker was especially warm, having awakened to 32 degrees F and frost on the ground in Winter Park Colorado, so he shed his usual highland shirt for something more comfortable, while Angus Mohr played Highland Rock and Roll in the background.

Having a good time, but the festival's not over yet. I'm officiating at the Kirkin' of the Tartan service tomorrow, and delivering the invocation for the midday ceremony, in between meeting people at the clan booth and listening to some more great Celtic music.

I'm pleading ignorance on that picture, Michael.  I have know recollection- must be a McClellands thing.  ::)
DENY US NOT

Michael Thompson

• Unitas et Probitas
« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2011, 06:47:03 PM »
Sorry, guess I'm behind in my reporting of the rest of the festival. We did have such a great time. I hadn't been able to attend the festival and games in Elizabeth Colorado, but my sons Timothy and Sean were there, holding up the Clan Thompson tent, and apparently made many friends. Lots of people kept stopping by our tent in Highlands Ranch and greeting them. They seemed very impressed that two young men were so interested in upholding the clan traditions. So many of the clan people are older like me, so they liked to see teenagers and twenty-somethings doing this. Plus, they remembered Sean playing pipes by the Thompson tent for at least a bit of relief from the heat for the other clans.

Sunday morning started off with a really interesting twist. They had a priest scheduled to do the Kirkin' of the Tartan service on Sunday morning, but he had to cancel and they weren't sure what to do. There was one lady who really wanted to have the service, but without a minister she didn't know what to do and the rest of the committee was thinking about canceling it. Apparently she's a friend of my sister-in-law who said, "Hey my brother-in-law is a minister, maybe he could do it."

So she contacted me, and I said, "Sure!" So I wound up leading the service, which commemorates the blessing of the tartans during the act of proscription and also honors those who have died, from the clans in the past year, and in military service. My son Sean played the pipes for it, including the almost sacred "Flowers of the Forest." It was quite a moving service. I guess they liked that well enough they asked me to give the invocation at the midday ceremonies as well.

One of the highlights of these festivals for me is the music. There are so many great bands, and something for every musical taste. There was Celtic rock, acoustic traditional music, and some great workshops and demonstrations by some very talented musicians. You can view some photos in this photo album.

Lowell Thompson was once again named best overall athlete despite having the flu. Here's a photo of him receiving his silver tray:

Some games concentrate on different things; this one is very big on clans and clan fellowship, so it was very welcoming. I guess we're lucky here, we don't seem to have the opposition I hear about at some of the games back east. Thompsons are well known and well connected at these events and we've always been welcomed with open arms. They're very friendly and helpful. Some fellows from Clan Scott offered us help and suggestions for our tent, they've only been organized in Colorado for a few years themselves. It's very gratifying to see the level of fellowship and camaraderie at these festivals.

After last post and the massed bands, Chieftain Larry Hay invited all the clans out to the field for a wee dram and thank-you for attending. All in all, it was a great time with great folks, great music, and great food and drink.
The Reivers Ride Again!

Michael Thompson

• Unitas et Probitas
« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2011, 06:48:43 PM »
I'm pleading ignorance on that picture, Michael.  I have know recollection- must be a McClellands thing.  ::)

Apparently, we had more than a hot piper. You kept complaining about the weather 'til you bought the Angus Mohr shirt and really got into things. :-)
The Reivers Ride Again!

Parker Thomson

• Denego Nos Non!
« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2011, 08:19:14 PM »
OK Bro', you got me on that one! Sorry I couldn't be there on Sunday to see Lowell  rock the house. :P  See you at Estes my friend! ;)

DENY US NOT

Lowell Thompson

• art-handlers.com
« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2011, 12:46:52 PM »
Right on Parker. See you on Sunday the 11th..
THROW HARD!!!