Author Topic: Meet us in Hickory, NC for Rabbie Burns Night January 25th  (Read 8765 times)

Mary

• Administrator
Meet us in Hickory, NC for Rabbie Burns Night January 25th
« on: January 15, 2014, 05:39:51 PM »
I'm going the laxy route and using Sherry's email for this:

Mary

• Administrator
Re: Meet us in Hickory, NC for Rabbie Burns Night January 25th
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2014, 08:20:20 AM »
Well!  For those who COULD have come and chose not to, YOU MISSED A GRAND NIGHT!  The owners of J. McCloskey's Irish Pub and Grill in Hickory, NC outdid themselves in producing a proper Burns Night. All the food is cooked on site, and they had the Cock-a-leekie soup, "Haggis warm reeking", rich wi' Champit Tatties, Bashed Neeps Tyspy Laird (sherry trifle)......and it was GOOD!  They had a full house - some saw the advertisement for the Burns Night and had no idea what it was but had to come and see and enjoy the Belfast Boys entertainment, and the others were Scots celebrating. The owners were enjoying the night right along with us and the Stewarts who came in kilt/sash also. There were others there with Scottish backgrounds, but not in their tartans.

Sherry (our membership secretary) paraded the haggis around the pub, and a woman from Scotland who was there read the Ode to a Haggis and did the cutting to the applause of the crowd. We downed a fair amount of various local and national beers, Glenlivit and other beverages, and had a great time. 

The pub said they enjoyed it thoroughly and love to do 'specialty nights' and plan on doing it again next year. If you missed THIS ONE, don't miss THAT ONE!!!

Thanks to Billy Thompson for encouraging the pub to DO a Burns night and for the month he spent with them getting all the parts together and working. We'd love to have had a lot more Thom(p)sons there in kilt and sash......I can't imagine you would find more gracious and fun hosts at any event.

We're already planning to be there next year! Come join us!

cheryllwith2ls

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2014, 09:39:08 AM »
Looks like you guys had a GREAT time! Looks like a full house too! That's fantastic! I'm so glad you took pictures, you all are looking fine & dandy :)  I see Tom was wearing the red kilt!? We're going to the Burns Night in Fresno on the 15th....not sure why it wasn't on the 25th but nonetheless we're going. We'll take some pictures too! Glad you guys made it out of the snow  8)
The best and most beautiful things cannot be seen or even heard. They must be felt with the heart. - Helen Keller

Ernestt481

« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2014, 04:18:53 PM »
Certainly looks to have been a great night and the photo's are great too Mary.
Ern

Mary

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2014, 04:35:45 PM »
Yeah......Tom loaned his blue kilt to Sherry's husband, Robert and used his old red kilt. I thought they both looked 'mah-velous' darling! Tom wore his 18th century shirt/waistcoat combo and Robert wore his Argyll one. I think they both enjoyed getting out in Scottish finery! I saw a number of clan crests around the room - I know there were us, Stewarts, and Fergusons......I didn't recognize the others.

The pub was really nice --- it was the last building on a strip type mall (new one) but once you walked inside, you were immediately in a centuries old pub...beautiful woods on the walls, wood U-shaped bar.....really neat. I was expecting something modern based on the outside but it was "atmospheric."   :D  

Here are some more pics!

Sis Thompson's oldest

• Sis Thompson at 16...
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2014, 07:06:03 PM »
So, my hubby (Robert) says to me prior to agreeing to wear the kilt, "You may not take any pictures."  :-\

Key word is .......You.

I of course agreed, (anything to get him in a kilt) and Mary took the pictures.  ;D

Robert just came in as I write this and asked, "Are the pictures up yet?" HA! We'll see more of his knees in the future I think.

We all looked smashin'! And everybody had a great time. If you're close enough to drive to Hickory NC, make plans to come next year. We'll save you a seat.
The bad news? There is no key to the universe. The good news? It was never locked.

Barbara

« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2014, 04:20:47 PM »
What a great looking bunch of Thompsons!  :D  Looks and sounds like you all had a lot of fun, wish we could have been there.  Thanks for the pictures Mary!

Barb
"Kindness is the language the deaf can hear and the blind can see." - Mark Twain