Author Topic: 17th Annual Rhode Island Scottish Festival  (Read 8373 times)

Stirling Thompson

17th Annual Rhode Island Scottish Festival
« on: June 17, 2015, 07:18:33 AM »
Sorry its taken a few days to get this report done but I've been down with a cold for over a week now.

The 17th Annual Rhode Island Scottish Festival took place on Saturday June 13, 2015 at the Washington County Fairgrounds in Richmond, RI. The day started cool with a chance of showers in the forecast but thankfully they never materialized. The skies cleared and it warmed up into the low 80's. We (Dottie and I) arrived fairly late so we ended up on the corner at the far end of the clan village area. My nephews Michael and Joseph joined us later in the morning and marched in the Clan Parade with me along with our friend Chris (a Thompkins relation) whose last name I can't remember and can't spell anyway. She had marched with us last year and a member of the Scottish Country Dancers troupe.

I mostly stayed in the tent while Dottie and the boys got to wander around and enjoy the games. We had a good turnout with a steady flow of visitors throughout the day. They do the passports at this festival and we always get lots of kids looking for stamps but this year it seemed I had a lot more adults wanting their passports stamped.

I had a nice chat with a representative from Clan MacClaren who was checking out the flag holders my brother Ray had built for the tent. He said they winter in Arizona so they do a clan tent at the Arizona games but since they summer here he plans to have a tent at RI next year.

Entertainment was provided by Albannach, Pendragon and Charlie Zahm but unfortunately the stage was at the other end of the fairgrounds so I couldn't hear any of it. However we had some 17 pipe bands in competition on the parade ground, which was ringed by the clan village, so I no problem hearing them. And of course there was the usual array of vendors, one of whom is a Thompson on her mother's side so I gave her a card and pointed her to our website where she will hopefully become a new member.

And now the photos:

The Clan Crest Banner on display.

The Helmet and Sword display.

The Clan Tent.

A bold Reiver lass.

The parade of Clans.

The Gathering of the Clans.

There are a few more that Dottie took of the athletics and I'll post the on facebook.

Next up will be the Glasgow Lands Highland Festival in Look Park, Florence, MA on July 18, 2015.
Semper Fidelis! Semper Familia!
Stu

Thomas B. Thompson

Re: 17th Annual Rhode Island Scottish Festival
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2015, 08:12:02 PM »
Stu,
Thanks for the report and pictures.
Sounds like a grand time you had at the games.
Hope you are feeling better

Tom ( Indiana )

Donna

Re: 17th Annual Rhode Island Scottish Festival
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2015, 01:39:18 AM »
Hey Stu,
I can always count on you to post great photos! Well done!
And, I'm so impressed by the Helmet and Sword display...
Thanks to you and Dottie for your time and hard work   :D

Donna
ANY DAY ABOVE GROUND IS A GOOD DAY !