Author Topic: Roots Web  (Read 26909 times)

Cathy McTavish

• Core
Roots Web
« on: April 11, 2008, 12:15:58 PM »
I have just sent a new gedcom file to rootsweb, and our database should be updated in 48 hours.  We now have 1482 people in our database, comprised of 356 marriages, 15 generations and 307 surnames!!!

If you have not done so, please send me your family information and I will incorporate it into the database!!  i finally have some time once again!
Cathy

By the way, Barbara Moore, I have discovered another cousin for you - Paula Cash!

Barbara

Re: Roots Web
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2008, 05:06:43 PM »
Hi Cathy, yes, Paula and I knew we were cousins.  The more we dig the more we find.  :)  Isn't it wonderful!

Barbara
"Kindness is the language the deaf can hear and the blind can see." - Mark Twain

Barbara

« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2008, 01:56:31 PM »
OK, I seem to be the dumbest one in the room, I forgot how to access our genealogy site.   Thought I had it bookmarked.  :-[   ::)

Barbara
"Kindness is the language the deaf can hear and the blind can see." - Mark Twain

Cathy McTavish

• Core
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2008, 10:29:55 AM »
We are now up to 1544 people, thanks to the contribution by Don Thompson!!!   And I have changed the name of the database!  You can view it at:

http://wc.rootsweb.ancestry.com/cgi-bin/igm.cgi?db=clan_thompson

So come one and come all and give me your ancestors!!!!

Cathy

Forum_mgr

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2008, 03:03:55 PM »
If it were not "unseemly", I would say   WOO HOO!

Stirling Thompson

« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2008, 05:57:23 PM »
Hello! This looks like as good a place as any to introduce myself to the clan so here goes!

My name is Stirling Thompson though I'm generally known as Stu. I was born in Rockland, ME (which is the mid-coast area of Knox County) and currently reside in central Massachusetts. My primary interest is trying to trace my roots back to Scotland/England/Ireland but so far the best I can do is back to a William Thompson in the late 1700s. There are several interesting possibilities beyond that but so far I can't connect the dots. For example, the were some Thomsons among the Scots prisoners taken at the battles of Dunbar (1650) and Worcester (1652) that were sent to the Saugus Iron Works and ended up in the Portsmouth, NH and southern Maine area. Additionally, Samuel Waldo brought 23 Scots families to the Georges River area in 1735 and an additional 60 men, women and children in 1753. These latter were presumably brought at the same time that Waldo brought 400 Germans from the Palatine who were the original settlers of Waldoboro, ME. At somepoint I will endeavor to upload my family tree to the Clan Thompson database but that will have to wait for another day.

Meanwhile I look forward to hanging out and putting in my two cents now and then and generally getting to know all my lost cousins!
Semper Fidelis! Semper Familia!
Stu

Graham Thompson

« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2008, 10:11:21 AM »
Welcome to our crazy clan
Guess what!? I'm here to spread my words of wisdom also. Everybody fear them!!! Hahaha

Mary

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2008, 04:59:00 PM »
Yes - do post your genealogy. It doesn't match up with ours, but the bigger our database gets, the better chance that those of us with "lost" ancestors may discover new cousins!  We found a relative recently through the son of a second marriage, so NOT related.....but someone from his line contacted us with information we hadn't had. Who'd a "thunk it?"  So, you never know when something will 'click' into place.

Maine - was there a couple of years ago....Bath area. Beautiful. I love the architecture up there.

Keep posting - it's the only way to keep ourselves (and others) interested!

Scotsmor

« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2008, 06:47:01 AM »
Welcome Stu,

Thomas Thompson

• Deny Us Not!
« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2008, 07:13:44 AM »

Welcome Stu

You said your block was ' William in the late 1700's'  Was that in Ireland or Scotland? 
 I look forward to reading your next post.
Tom

Barbara

« Reply #10 on: April 19, 2008, 01:16:14 PM »
A warm welcome to you Stu.  You will find a great bunch of people/family here.  I look forward to your postings.  :)

Barbara

Stirling Thompson

« Reply #11 on: April 20, 2008, 05:22:41 PM »
Thank you all for the warm welcome I just knew I would feel at home here. I had actually been in contact at one time with Dugald but I just didn't feel comfortable being a MacTavish, too many things didn't fit right. Now I'm glad I kept my money.

Cathy, can you tell me what I need to do to get my tree to you?

Thomas, the William in the late 1700's is still in the USA as near as I can tell.

For the most part it seems that most of the males in the family have been tied to the sea as sailors and fishermen. My great grandfather was a sailor in his youth and then became an itinerant preacher among the islands of Penobscot Bay in later years.
Semper Fidelis! Semper Familia!
Stu

Booner

« Reply #12 on: April 21, 2008, 07:37:16 PM »
Welcome Stu!

I hope you'll soon feel you've found a home here.

We have a pretty diverse group and I'm happy I found them; I hope you'll feel the same.

Best regards,
Booner

Cathy McTavish

• Core
« Reply #13 on: April 29, 2008, 05:09:38 AM »
Stirling:

First do you have your family information in a database??  If so, simply e-mail me a ged-com file.  Otherwise, simply give me whateve information you have and I will work on it for you!
Cathy

Donna

My Thompson Family
« Reply #14 on: May 13, 2008, 12:19:55 AM »
Hi Everyone,
My name is Donna and I'm new to the Clan Thompson group.  I've been trying to sort my Thompson genealogy for 40 years!  
My mother was Katherine Thompson b. 1923, in California.   Her father was William Warren Thompson b. 1872, Port Huron, Michigan.  His father was James Thompson b. abt. 1818 in Welland County, Ontario Canada and d. 1897 in Sanilac Co. Michigan.
James was last married to Jemima Sarah Ann Rosford but had two or three previous wives whos names are unknown. There may have been up to 22 children between all the ladies.  These are the names I have: Archibald b abt. 1853, Canada. James N. b abt. 1857, Canada, Thomas Solomon b abt 1869 Canada.  Three young girls, Edith, Mary and Victoria all died in Oct 1880.   Laura Ann b. 1881 Canada wife of Dr. Edward Jones.
I believe my great grandfather, "James with many wives" was the son of James & Mary Thompson, who may have been born in Scotland.

Donna Lingren
ANY DAY ABOVE GROUND IS A GOOD DAY !