General Category > General Scottish

CNN

(1/2) > >>

MACTAVISH:
IVE BEEN WATCHING OLD FOOTAGE FROM CNN TODAY. I WATCHED A REPORTER INTERVIEWING MEMBERS OF THE U.S. MARINE CORPS IN AFGHANISTAN. I HAVE TO SAY THAT I CONSIDER THE U.S MARINES AN ADEQUATE UNIT AS FAR AS UNITS OUTSIDE SCOTLAND GO (ALTHOUGH THE SEALS AND DELTA HAVE IMPROVED DRAMATICALLY SINCE THEIR TUITION WAS TAKEN ON BY THE SAS AND SBS HEADSHEDS)BUT.....I HAVE TO COMMEND ONE INTERVIEWEE AS THE 'KING OF COOL'.
HE WAS ASKED;
                     'WHAT DO YOU FEEL WHEN YOU SHOOT AN AL QUAIDA?'
                     'RECOIL'   HE ANSWERED WITH A DEADPAN EXPRESSION.
THATS A TOP ANSWER THAT MADE ME PROUD MY GUYS ARE FIGHTING ALONGSIDE YOUR GUYS!

Stirling Thompson:
Adequate???? What the hell do you mean... adequate???? As a former member of Uncle Sam's Misguided Children I can only paraphrase what the Marine commander told the Iraqis upon taking over in Anbar province... "The Marines can be your best friends... or your worst enemy!"

MACTAVISH:
I WORKED WITH YOUR MARINE CORPS.. I HAVE FRIENDS IN THAT UNIT. I DIDNT MEAN TO OFFEND.THE BEST REGIMENT IN THE WORLD ARE THE SAS(WHICH INCORPERATES THE OZ/NZ AND FIJI CONTINGENTS.) IF THEY WERE NOT THEY WOULD NOT BE TRAINING YOUR FORCES/SOUTH AFRICANS/RUSSIANS ETC. THE SAS ARE 70% SCOTTISH AND IM VERY PROUD OF THAT.

MACTAVISH:
actually everyone, on reflection; my original post- i could have chosen my words a little better. my sincere apologies to all for any offence through my thoughtlessness.

Mary:
Hi MACTAVISH --- I don't think there was really any offense taken.....just a spirited reply!  And, yes, I know the feelings behind these statements --- remember, I'm ex-military too and have sons and nephews now serving.

So, I appreciate the fact that your troops are helping train ours where we need them........and, as required, vice versa.

A good, symbiotic relationship..........no offense to/from either side.

Mary

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version