Author Topic: Edinboro University Games (Erie PA)  (Read 17228 times)

Jim Reed, PA Commish

• Jim Reed - PA Commissioner
Edinboro University Games (Erie PA)
« on: May 27, 2009, 07:31:33 AM »
Edinboro University Games (Erie PA)  The Clan Thompson Society will be represented at the Edinboro University Games on Saturday, July 25th.  All Thompson’s from western PA, NE Ohio and SW New York who may be able to attend and assist in the Clan Tent area, please let me know.  Admission to the Games is FREE..

Jim Reed, PA Commissioner
717-582-8315
jim_reed@tricountyi.net

Mary

• Administrator
Re: Edinboro University Games (Erie PA)
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2009, 12:12:08 PM »
Come on guys!  This is Jim's first outing and he's going to need some help.  I don't think Tom and I can make this one - how about one of you? People always think there should be 'more' to organizations they join..........well, the 'more' is what YOU put into it!

Good luck, Jim.......and thanks for opening new ground for the society!

Jim Reed, PA Commish

« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2009, 03:58:56 AM »
I believe that visibility and exposure by providing a presence at Highland Gatherings is the key to the growth of the Clan Thompson Society.  Twenty years ago, not knowing a Sgian Dubh from a Ghillie Brogues and knowing only that my great-grandparents were Thomsons from Scotland, a fact that I was very proud of and wanted to know more about my Thomson-Scottish heritage.  It was at my first Highland games where I spend time talking with a Clan Society that represented the Thom(p)son’s (Campbell) and became a member for several years. Again , a few years latter, at another Highland Games, I became a member of the Clan MacTavish Society.  Although neither fulfilled by needs or expectations, I don’t fault them for that.  But I was their presence at a Highland Games that encouraged me to join. I truly believe that the more Highland Games, Celtic festivals that we have a set-up in the Clan area, that more new member we will attract.  Although I would appreciate your assistance in Erie or Carlisle, I might prefer that you seek out opportunities at Games in your own backyard to represent the Clan Thompson Society with a setup in the Clan area.  I think most people attend Games, not just for the morbid curiosity of watching kilted men tossing telephone poles, but to explore their own Scottish roots. I am more that excited about this opportunity the CTS is providing.  Contact Tom and Mary as to how you can provide this opportunity to our Thompson brethren in your area.

Jim Reed, PA Commissioner
jim_reed@clanthompson.org

Donna

« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2009, 02:46:02 PM »
Way to go Jim!

Speaking for myself, I do enjoy watching men in kilts tossing a telephone pole  :o
but Jim is correct in saying that we all need to help where we can.  Maybe you
aren't able to set up a Clan Thompson tent, but you can wear a Clan Thompson Society T-shirt to the gatherings you do attend or hang a "Restore Clan Thompson" bumper sticker on your car/truck.    Check out the great Clan Thompson Society items now available at www.zazzle.com   

Donna
ANY DAY ABOVE GROUND IS A GOOD DAY !

Michael Thompson

• Unitas et Probitas
    • Thompson Family Web Site
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2009, 07:54:18 PM »
Seek out opportunities at Games in your own backyard to represent the Clan Thompson Society with a setup in the Clan area.  I think most people attend Games, not just for the morbid curiosity of watching kilted men tossing telephone poles, but to explore their own Scottish roots. I am more that excited about this opportunity the CTS is providing.  Contact Tom and Mary as to how you can provide this opportunity to our Thompson brethren in your area.

Well said Jim. Let's get out there. We've got a couple of festivals this summer in Colorado, and we're definitely planning to be representin' the Clan.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2009, 08:37:42 PM by Michael Thompson »
The Reivers Ride Again!

Mary

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2009, 07:20:07 AM »
Well said Jim. Let's get out there. We've got a couple of festivals this summer in Colorado, and we're definitely planning to be representin' the Clan.

Hey Michael - how about running a tent at one or more of those games??  Booner is our Colorado commissioner and maybe he could help - he has a set of the tartan flags, clan banner and a red table cover for the table. If he can't go, he could mail them to you and that gives you the basis for a clan tent. The handouts for kids/adults alike are available for download and you can print info from the website and forum for historical references, etc.  Michael??? Don't run away! You've the gift for gab...this would be a snap!  Booner??  What'cha think ???

Mary

Michael Thompson

• Unitas et Probitas
    • Thompson Family Web Site
« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2009, 08:44:11 PM »
Booner and I have discussed it on the board before. I know he's interested. I believe he already has plans for a tent at the Estes Park Highland Festival where we first met. I also researched the rates at the Colorado Scottish Festival in Highlands Ranch for him, but I don't know if he's made any actual arrangements or not.
The Reivers Ride Again!

Thomas Thompson

• Deny Us Not!
« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2009, 10:07:57 AM »
 Hello to any and all  Thompsons in the PA and surrounding states.

Mary and I plan to attend the Edinboro UN  Games next Saturday.  It would be great if I could meet some of our members from there.

After the games, we plan on spending a week around Lewistown, Mifflin Co looking for my relatives who settled there in the first half of the 1800rds.
    I plan on visiting several libraries and Historical Societies surrounding Mifflin. If any of our members have any links to that area I will be happy to include a search for you.  Post the specific information you need tomorrow and I will do my best.
Tom

Jim Reed, PA Commish

« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2009, 03:19:06 AM »
A nice  Scottish Festival in Edinboro.  President Tom, my Grandson and I  manned the Clan Tent. Met a dozen or so Thompson Cousins from NW Pennsylvania and a few are prospective members. The Festival Director, Tim Thompson, Ph. D. at Edinboro, stopped by for a brief visit and was quite excited that the Thompson's were being represented.  Will be adding some Photo soon.

Jim R.

Donna

« Reply #9 on: July 27, 2009, 07:47:26 PM »
I'm so jealous...

Our Big Highlands Gathering, here in California, is still a month away!  It sounds like y'all had a great time and a very successful event and I cant wait to see the photos!

Donna

Jim Reed, PA Commish

« Reply #10 on: July 29, 2009, 04:18:37 PM »
Tom presents Festival Director Dr. Tim Thompson with Clan Thompson Mug

[attachment deleted by admin]

Jim Reed, PA Commish

« Reply #11 on: July 29, 2009, 04:21:00 PM »
Jim Reed (L) and Tom at Clan Tent at Edinboro Games

[attachment deleted by admin]

Donna

« Reply #12 on: July 29, 2009, 11:56:06 PM »
Thanks for posting your photos.  The table looks like you had just bunches of
stuff!  What all did you put out?

Donna

Mary

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: August 01, 2009, 09:52:30 PM »
Hi All ---

The dust has finally settled on our trip to PA.  After leaving the Edinboro games, it turned into the trip from Hell but at least, we're home now. Ugh.

Sorry we don't have any pictures!  Tom snapped away half of the day before he realized he had one of the batteries in his camera in backwards! :P
I wasn't at the games.....the campground we finally found space in only had 20 amp service, so we couldn't run the air conditioner. Ergo....couldn't leave the dogs locked up in the trailer. So, I stayed at the campground with them and Tom, Jim and his grandson ran the tent. Tom and I had hauled up all of our table stuff and Jim brought books and stuff that he had accumulated too.....so I think it was a good showing!

It's great to have a PA commissioner now........still need some help in CA and New England......... ;)  We're growing and pulling together for a great goal and the support we hear from all the games attended is (with one exception) unanimous in wishing us luck with Clan Thom(p)son. We've come a long way in 18 months!