Author Topic: Gathering & Games California 2009  (Read 7756 times)

Donna

Gathering & Games California 2009
« on: September 07, 2009, 12:22:00 PM »
The 144Th Scottish Highland Gathering & Games, hosted by the Caledonian Club of San Francisco California, was held this past weekend!  If y'all are ever in the San Francisco Bay area over the Labor Day weekend, this is where you would want to be.   :D

Among those who kept us all entertained were the Marine Corp Band, from San Diego CA, and the 1st Battalion, Scots Guards.  And two of my favorites...Isla St. Clair and the Wicked Tinkers Band  :D

There was Rugby and Shinty and the Sheep Dog Trials!  And food...food...food  ::)
New this year (to go along with the Whisky Tasting) there was a selection of 20 different hand rolled cigars to sample!

It was sooooooo hot  :-\  that we didn't get to spend as much time visiting each Clan Tent as we would have liked.   We received such a warm welcome from the following Clans that I would really like to mention some of them by name:
Clan Cunningham, Clan Fraser, Clan Kennedy, Clan Rose, Clan Munro, Clan MacMillen, and Clan MacKenzie.   And, we were greeted with a hand shake and a warm hug from folks we have had the pleasure of meeting at other gatherings, Anthony and Tina, who were among those representing the Clan MacTavish.  

But the best part of the Gathering was the massed pipe bands! They all combined to perform for the closing ceremonies.   Have you ever heard 650 pipers & drummers all playing Amazing Grace and Scotland the Brave together!   I'll tell you, it brought a tear to my eyes!

Donna
ANY DAY ABOVE GROUND IS A GOOD DAY !

Donna

Re: Gathering & Games California 2009
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2009, 11:55:43 PM »
Hey Y'all  :D

I still have about 50 of the "Welcome" cards with candy attached...can anyone use them?   If you have an event planned for late September or October, that will give me the time needed to send them out by USPS.
Let me know...

Donna
ANY DAY ABOVE GROUND IS A GOOD DAY !

Barbara

« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2009, 06:53:08 PM »
Hey Donna, thanks for the run down on the 144Th Scottish Highland Gathering & Games in California.  I know how the massed bands can move a person.  They give me chills when I hear "Scotland the Brave" by all the bands.  Sounds like you had a great time and made many friends.  :D

Barbara
"Kindness is the language the deaf can hear and the blind can see." - Mark Twain

Mary

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2009, 11:24:09 AM »
Hi Donna -

I don't think we have any more games until Florida....you might check with Duke!  Maybe post here  http://clanthompson.org/CTF/index.php?topic=183.30 and he'll see it!

THose candy cards are really neat - and a SMASHING idea that all of us could copy!

Mary