General Category > Heraldry

Thomson armigers - 'Families' within the Clan

<< < (2/3) > >>

Allan Thomson:
Hello,

The arms you describe appear to closely describe the arms of John THOMSON Secretary to the Board of Excise "Argent (silver) a stag’s head cabossed (facing forward and neckless) Gules (Red) on a chief (compartment at the top of shield) engrailed Azure (blue) a cross crosslet fitchée (a cross with the upper limbs of the cross also crossed) Or (Gold) between two spur-revels (Stars with holes in centre) of the field (silver)." found in Sir James Balfour Paul’s Scottish Ordinary registered in 1781.

I would be very happy if you could prove a genealogical link to this individual as they represent one of the earlier Thomson grants of arms.  I have noted in another thread that there are probably family links between some of the earlier armigers and I think this probably applies to John whose arms share similarities with some others of that time period.

Allan Thomson

[attachment deleted by admin]

Lin and Malia Thompson:
Thanks for the quick reply. The earliest ancestor my husband can trace and document is Archibald Thompson 1678-1746.  The only hint we have going further back is this excerpt quoted in a Montgomery, PA Historical Society document.

"Among the writings of one of the descendants is a description of the old ancestral home of Robert Curry Thomson at Changewater, N.J.  It says, "A stag's head, with the antlers always hung in the hall, and I have a faded remembrance of being told when a child that it represented a special connection with the Thomson name.  I have since learned that it must have represented a part of the Thomson Arms."  These writings also state that the following was taken from a genealogy of the family compiled by Edward Sharp Thomson of Port Colden, N.J.  This genealogy has not been found.
The Arms:  A stag's head, cabossed, affronted, gu.  Cross-crosslet, fitched, on a agure, engrailed chief, between two spur rowels.
The Crest:  A dexter, embowed arm in armor, the hand ppr. holding a cross-crosslet, fitched, -all gu.
The Motto:  Honestie is the best policie."  
Excerpt from document entitled "Thomson Genealogy and History".  Historical Society of Montgomery County, PA , stamped #8232.

Thanks for your help.  We really appreciate it.  

Do you know of any place John Thomson's genealogy would be posted?

Malia  

Allan Thomson:
I think you are doing very well if you can get back as far as 1678.  I have only managed circa 1790 for my own Thomson family.

I have not found much detail on John Thomson yet but I will be looking into this in the future.  I will post anything I find on this forum.

Allan Thomson

Lin and Malia Thompson:
Thanks Allan.  We were very lucky.  Google Books digitalized two books that I found this summer.  One was a book of historical sketches that included the history of an inn in Norriton, PA that the family built on land Archibald Thomson bought.  The other book had a whole chapter on one of Archibald's great-grand daughters-in-laws, Elizabeth Stroud, who lived to be 102 outlining her posterity down to my father-in-law's grandparents.  I really appreciate Google Books. 

Lin and Malia Thompson:
I noticed nobody posted this version of the Thompson Coat of Arms yet.  It belonged to another John Thomson.  I think it best matches the description I posted earlier.  What do you guys think?  Thanks for all the help by the way.  Sure do appreciate it.

[attachment deleted by admin]

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version