Author Topic: FredericK MD Celtic Festival Recap  (Read 8863 times)

Jim Reed, PA Commish

• Jim Reed - PA Commissioner
FredericK MD Celtic Festival Recap
« on: May 10, 2010, 04:07:33 AM »
Any day that you can put on the Kilt, Listen to the Pipes and watch the tossing of the Caber is a good day….But, the weather was the master of the day.  Most  survived a brief passing shower as we started to put up our tents, but the steady 15-25 MPH winds and gusts of 40 MPH reeked havoc on all the tents,   The Wind turned Clan Young’s Pop-up into a twisted unusable frame. Mine sustained some damage which I need to access before this weekend’s game in Fair Hill MD. By 9:30 the majority of the Tents had been taken down. (For those considering buying a Pop-up, the two brands that seemed the most durable and braved the elements were – EZ-UP and Caravan) The Logistics left a bit to be desired. The Clan area and Athletic competition was isolated from the Commercial vendors, food vendors, re-actors and demonstrations, so foot traffic in the Clan Area was very sparse.  Only encountered two Thompsons – one gentleman wearing a Hunting Thompson Kilt who never stopped by out area and a Thompson who swore allegiance to Clan Campbell, but might have had second thoughts after telling her about the Border Reivers.  On a positive note, there were about 25 Clans and Societies that participated in the Parade of Tartans.  At the Conclusion of the Parade of Tartans they conducted a brief “Flowers of the Forest” memorial.  The name of our own Brian Hulstedt was read.  Based on this years experience, will need to evaluate participation next year. Hopefully we will find new member who will be willing to assist next year if we attend.  (Will add photo later of how strong the wind were)

Jim Reed
PA Commissioner

Jim Reed, PA Commish

Re: FredericK MD Celtic Festival Recap
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2010, 02:54:49 PM »
Wind Damages @ Clan Young

[attachment deleted by admin]

Jim Reed, PA Commish

« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2010, 02:55:48 PM »
Wind like this all day

[attachment deleted by admin]

Thomas Thompson

• Deny Us Not!
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2010, 09:36:28 AM »
Jim
After reading your report I am glad it was you instead of me in the wind storm. It's a shame the individual in Thompson Hunting didn't feel interested in at least thanking you for supporting the family. As for the lady who was a supporter of being a Sept of Clan Campbell, at least she was open minded enough to talk to you. I met the President of Clan Campbell USA, C. Thompson, a couple of years ago. A very nice gentleman and he had traced his heritage back to an ancestor who had been a Sept of Campbell. I find no fault in those who have found links to a particular Clan. After all that is what we are all doing - celebrating our Scottish heritage.
Tom

Parker Thomson

• Denego Nos Non!
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2010, 08:16:03 AM »
I first found out about our Clan Thom(p)son society from a Clan Campbell representative at the Estes Park, Longs Peak games in Colorado. I was taking my daughter and wife around and showing them the two clans in Scotland from which our present day immediate family descended. The Clan Campbell rep seemed almost gleeful to tell us about the "new Thompson tent" next door. I think many of the other clans were excited to have something new developing (or resurrecting).  We visited and met Tom Thompson and Booner.  We joined Clan Thom(p)son and since then, the Estes Games have become a family reunion for our immediate family. I am glad we have a ClanThom(p)son society, which I hope through proof of historical evidence might prove to be a reinstated Clan in its own right.
Cheers
 ))
((
Parker
DENY US NOT