General Category > Heraldry

Varieties of Thom(p)son(e) arms?

<< < (2/5) > >>

Mary:
Hi Bill --

Was Roger's wife ANN?

William J. Thompson:
Whoa, chills....
Why, YES Mary, it seems Roger was married to Ann Thompson, b. 1605 Yorkshire! I just hope it's a real connection. It gets murky: I have Roger's great-granddaughter Esther Thompson marrying Robert Watkins Crockett, who apparently married a few times. If she wasn't the mother of John Crockett, that particular line of Thompsons may be my stepcesters.

Mary:
Hi Bill ---

May have found some info for you...will send by email.  A SIR Roger Thompson born in 1607 in Yorkshire and died 1675 in Virginia.... could this be your Roger?  It would be English arms, not Scottish.

Mary

[attachment deleted by admin]

William J. Thompson:
Wow! It sounds like it could be; the dates certainly line up!

I've untanged some knots in the line, and that branch of Thompsons really IS related to me. The confusion came with Esther Thompson marrying Samuel Crockett (of the Antoine De Crocketagne line! Who knew?) Some records have Esther marrying Samuel's brother, with an incomplete list of her kids, which made her look like a step-aunt. Straightened out -- it's a straight shot from my maternal grandmother to Esther (1710-1770), then right back to John Thompson (b. 1475) and Eleanor Phillips (b. 1478).

I have my Roger coming to Virginia in 1619, at age 12. Do you have Ann dying in Yorkshire in 1670?

If you have Roger's parents as Richard Thompson (1580-1650) and Anne Nelthrope (1584-1607), it's a good chance we're talking about the same guy.

Mary:
Yep - those are his parents! And yes, Ann is lisetd as dying in Yorkshire in 1670 (which I thought was odd if Roger was in Virginia?)

Anyway, it sure sounds like you are descended from an English armiger!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version