Author Topic: DNA results  (Read 40209 times)

Dusevoir

• Core
  • Me
Re: DNA results
« Reply #15 on: December 09, 2010, 09:19:33 AM »
I am a bit confused after looking at all the matches you posted from Family Tree. I thought the DNA results were supposed to limit your related links
to the most likely with a genetic distance of three or less.
    The numbers in your post seems to indicate someone in you past might have been a bit promiscuous? The good thing ( I think) is that the cavorting was outside the family  Grin

I know, I'm a bit confused and overwhelmed to say the least.  I now have 48 matches and only some will give their surnames or gedcom files.  The surnames I listed belong to the two cousins below.  Lawson has a tree on Rootsweb  http://wc.rootsweb.ancestry.com/cgi-bin/igm.cgi?op=SRCH&db=cllawson&surname=T  he has 38 Thompsons from Alabama.  I'm still looking for Huff's tree.  I think I found it on Ancestry.com but I'd like to be sure.

I listed my 4th cousin's (Carl Lewis Lawson) surnames second and  my 5th cousins (Coleman Conrad Huff) first.   

The Family Finder is different from the male dna test.  It will match you up to 6 generations, male and female.  Everyone of my matches are 4th or 5th cousins.   I'm not allowed to join the Thompson group at Familytreedna since I'm female and I can't have the Y-DNA test.  I might have to get my son to do it. 

Anyway...............I wasn't sure how to post my dna results.   

Promiscuous family members in our past?  I hear that's hereditary.

Old Genealogists never die - they just lose their census.

Dusevoir

• Core
  • Me
« Reply #16 on: December 09, 2010, 09:24:38 AM »
Mike,  I will try to find out where in England the Thompsons are from. 

Dusevoir

• Core
  • Me
« Reply #17 on: December 09, 2010, 09:33:25 AM »
Bill, There are some Osbornes on that tree from Virginia.  Which Osborne connects with Thompson? 

Thomas Thompson

• Deny Us Not!
« Reply #18 on: December 09, 2010, 12:45:27 PM »
Hi Dusevoir
     My apologies. I was out of line - sorry about that - it won't happen again.

I realize that you can't use Y-Search as a female, but I didn't know they listed as matches 6th cousins. How will knowing the family tree of your 4th cousin help you find your early Thompson link?
   Please correct my impression. Do you and other similar females, hope to find an older Thompson common link listed in the family trees of cousins?
For example: a DNA match 4th cousin might have a record of his/her ggreat grandfather Thompson. This person would then be the brother of your ancestor.
   From what I think I know about DNA; testing your son would only provide DNA results about his father's ancestors. Y-Search requires a male to male relationship. I think your only hope is to find a male 1st cousin ( son of a brother) and use his DNA to connect to your relation.
I am glad you have opened up this avenue of  DNA problems. Everyone reading your posts will have a better understanding of what DNA tests can and cannot accomplish.
Tom

uneven

• where you're from depends on when you stop looking
    • Thompson Hunt
« Reply #19 on: December 09, 2010, 10:22:28 PM »
Thanks Dusevoir. I appreciate it.

mike
Mike Thompson from Michigan..then Indiana..then Pennsylvania and further...probably somewhere there are sheep. Call me Legion for I am many.

Dusevoir

• Core
  • Me
« Reply #20 on: December 12, 2010, 06:33:20 AM »
My apologies. I was out of line - sorry about that - it won't happen again.

Dear Thomas Thompson,

Thank you. I accept your apology.   :)

Seeing the trees of my matches, I hope to find a Thompson or other surnames in my Thompson tree.  My 4th cousin means we would share a 3rd great grandparent.  That's right where my roadblock is for my Thompson line.

My cousin, John Thompson found me last spring with the help of Cathy.  My great grandfather is his grandfather.  He has all the DNA info on the Thompsons from Scotland and I have all the info on the other end.  We are still trying to find the link in between.   

I attached a page of my DNA matches to give you an idea what I see.

Barb

[attachment deleted by admin]

Thomas B. Thompson

« Reply #21 on: December 13, 2010, 05:51:43 PM »
Dusevoir,
I was reading your post about your cousin John Thompson and you mentioned that he had the DNA of all the Thompsons in Scotland. Were you refering to only the Thompson's on your side of the family?
The reason I am asking is that my 8th grand-father, William Thompson, was born in 1646 in Edinburgh
Scotland and I as wondering if your cousin's list went back that far. Would you be so kind to see if his name pops up?

Thank you for your time

Thomas B Thompson  ( INDIANA )

uneven

• Thompson Hunt
« Reply #22 on: December 13, 2010, 06:26:23 PM »
Hello Thomas B. Where in Indiana? My Indiana Thompsons are from the Alexandria area. Also, if you don't mind, what does the B. stand for?

Mike James Thompson
Mike Thompson from Michigan..then Indiana..then Pennsylvania and further...probably somewhere there are sheep. Call me Legion for I am many.

Thomas B. Thompson

« Reply #23 on: December 15, 2010, 05:18:42 AM »
Back at ya Mike J,
My Thompson's are from Harlan and Bell counties in Southeastern Kentucky by way
North Carolina by way of Maryland by way of Edinburgh Scotland (1646 )
The B stands for Brady and it is the middle name of my granfather John Brady Todd on
my mother's side. I feel fortunate that both sides of my family are Scottish.
Hopefully someday, I can trace my granfather's side.
Good luck with you search.
Merry Christmas and Happy Year

Thomas B Thompson

uneven

• Thompson Hunt
« Reply #24 on: December 15, 2010, 01:30:09 PM »
Cool. We don't really have any family names that I know of. Except for Naomi. I followed the Naomis through several generations and that's how I found out my wife and I are from the same family of Sutherlands.

The Carolinas seem to be a jumping off point for a lot of Thompsons. North and South Carolinians of multiple surnames show up in my DNA matches.

If I meet enough Indiana Thompsons I think I'll eventually run into someone from my own family. Thanks for telling me about yours.

My great grandfather was named Ray Bishop Thompson. Many people called him Bishop most people called him "Polar". The family story is that he worked on the railroad and lost a few toes to frostbite. Now if your middle name had been Bishop, I'd have been hounding you for all kinds of information.

Thanks again for the family information.

mike

William J. Thompson

• Just call me Bill
    • Mr Thompson's Ties & Squares
« Reply #25 on: December 16, 2010, 06:53:04 PM »
Bill, There are some Osbornes on that tree from Virginia.  Which Osborne connects with Thompson? 
Neat! Here's what I have...

My gm was Hildred Mamie Thompson, b. 2/23/1920 in Anawalt, McDowell, WV, d. 2/4/1984 in Largo, Pinellas, FL.
She was married to my gf Ralph Woodrow Thompson, b. 11/1/1912 In Tazewell, Tazewell, VA, d. 5/12/1976 in Bluefield, Mercer, WV.

Hildred's dad, my ggf, was William Clarence Osborne, b. 4/5/1894 in Tazewell, VA, d. 12/9/1970 in Largo, Pinellas, FL.
He had an older sister, b. ~1897, Effie L. Osborne.
I don't know his father, but his step-father was Brantty Y. Fox, and his mother was Mary (Osborne) Fox.

Any familiar names? ;D

Dusevoir

• Core
  • Me
« Reply #26 on: December 18, 2010, 07:15:56 AM »

I was reading your post about your cousin John Thompson and you mentioned that he had the DNA of all the Thompsons in Scotland. Were you refering to only the Thompson's on your side of the family?

Thomas B. Thompson......here is John Thompson's tree...

Andrew Thomson b. 1839  Dundonald, Ayr, Scotland,
Archibald Thompson  B:  22 June 1677  Abbotshall, Scotland, United Kingdom,
Robert Thompson  B:1707  Antrim, County of Antrim, Province of Ulster, Ireland, 
Archibald Thompson  B:1740  Pennsylvania, United States,
Benjamin Thompson  B:25 Mar 1777  Norriton, Montgomery, Pennsylvania, US 

Now, there is this gap we are still trying to figure out.

Our known ancestors...

Jacob B Thompson married to Nancy Fuller in  Jeffersonville, Clark, Indiana.                                 

Orlando "Ollie" Lynch Thompson  B. May 1842 in Jeffersonville, Indiana  married to Wilhanetta Y Martin.  In 1850 they lived Louisville, Jefferson, Kentucky.

Alonzo "Lon" B Thompson B. 8 August 1868 married Darthula Green.

Maurice "Morris" L. Thompson B. 1903 in Rankin, Illinois, USA married Alice Paull in Oregon. (my grandparents)

These Thompsons moved to Paducah, Kentucky.

I have seen the names Osborne and Fox in my DNA matches trees.  I just have to find it again.  I really need a secretary.  Do you have the surname Berry in your tree? 

:) Barb

William J. Thompson

• Just call me Bill
    • Mr Thompson's Ties & Squares
« Reply #27 on: December 19, 2010, 03:26:33 PM »
No Berrys in my tree. Plenty of nuts, though.  ;D ;D

Dusevoir

• Core
  • Me
« Reply #28 on: December 20, 2010, 06:41:31 AM »
Ya.......we have a few of those, too.   ;D

Thomas B. Thompson

« Reply #29 on: December 20, 2010, 10:05:10 PM »
I have Berry on my mother's side of the family which I haven't explored yet.
My mother's sister Betty Todd married a Charles Berry. Both have past away.
Two cousins Wayne Berry and Richard Berry. Ring any bells???

Thomas B. Thompson