General Category > General Scottish

On Historie and of that ilk

<< < (3/3)

Mary:

--- Quote ---i suppose you guys being reivers needed a lawyer in the family!
--- End quote ---

I don't know what I'm going to do with you, MACTAVISH!  Can't decide whether to kiss you or slap you!  I think, when we finally meet, I'll just do BOTH and that will cover the ground all the way around! ;D 

Still can't figure out why the Thomsons are so elusive. Have been doing a lot of study with Tom on patronymics - very interesting.  So much for people thinking they are related if they have the same last names!!!

Mary

MACTAVISH:
YOU'LL NEED TO SLAP ME AND THEN KISS IT BETTER MARY! BUT WHY DO I GET THE FEELING YOU WOULDNT WANT TO CHANGE ME?
RE THE THOMSON/THOMPSON ENIGMA. YOU KNOW WHAT ITS LIKE WHEN YOUVE BEEN STARING AT SOMETHING FOR AGES AND CANT SEE IT AND THEN SUDDENLY IT DAWNS ON YOU???!!! THE PROBLEMS ANSWER HAS BEEN STARING ME IN THE FACE..
 IT HAS TO BE THE BORDER CHANGES.THOSE LIVING NEXT TO ENGLAND REALLY HAVE BEEN SUBJECTED TO BOTH ENGLISH AND SCOTS LOCAL GOVERNMENT RULE THROUGH THE CENTURIES.THE BORDER TOWNS HAVE BEEN IN SCOTLAND THEN ENGLAND THEN SCOTLAND THEN ENGLAND.........BERWICK ON TWEED ISCURRENTLY IN ENGLAND(THE ONLY ENGLISH SOCCER SIDE THAT PLAYS IN THE SCOTTISH LEAGUE!)IT IS AS WE SPEAK GOING BACK INTO SCOTLAND WITH YET ANOTHER BOUDARY CHANGE!
CONSIDER LOCAL CENSUS THROUGH THE AGES RECORDING THOMPSON /THOMSON IN THE COUNTRY THE TOWNS WERE IN AT THAT TIME.THERES YOUR ANSWER,IM POSITIVE. 'WHATS YOUR NAME'? -'THOMSON' THE ENGLISH WOULD WRITE 'THOMPSON'
ITS FEASIBLE THAT THE THOMPSONS WHO HEADED NORTH TO SETTLE IN UNARDRY WERE VERY IRITATED BY THESE CONSTANT BOUNDARY AND NAME CHANGES......AND ALSO THE ENGLISH LAWS WERE FAR LESS FORGIVING!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version