Author Topic: Glasgow Highland Games, KY --- May 31 - June 2  (Read 8132 times)

Mary

• Administrator
Glasgow Highland Games, KY --- May 31 - June 2
« on: May 29, 2013, 09:32:31 AM »
Last minute update...........WE'LL BE THERE!  Come and support your clan at the games - it isn't supposed to storm this year for a change!
http://www.glasgowhighlandgames.com/

Thomas Thompson

• Deny Us Not!
Re: Glasgow Highland Games, KY --- May 31 - June 2
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2013, 01:30:45 PM »
We had not planned to attend the Glasgow games, because so many of our crowd were committed to other events (graduations/weddings)

Our old friend, Maureen, called at the last minute and asked us to come as she had reserved our old tent space. It took some doing to arrange everything in only a couple of days, but since it was only the two of us, we managed to get everything we needed packed. We got there late Friday evening and set up the tent before dark. Had a short stopover at the local Subway and then to the motel.

Saturday started off with a bang - we were able to meet and greet all of our old clan conveners and vendors, several new Thompsons stopped by and we had a great time talking about the history of the Border Reivers. Our tent neighbors, Clan Wallace and the Nashville Pipes and Drums, covered for us to take a lunch break. The Chief of the Games, The MacLaren of MacLaren, Chief of Clan Labhran of Balquhidder and Strathearn, stopped by and seemed to be genuinely pleased that we were aggressively presenting the history of the Scottish families of the borders.

We had some pretty hefty rain storms  Saturday afternoon. (I mean, this IS Glasgow, KY!) but what the hey - the tents didn't blow down, I could not believe how heavy a kilt could be when it is soaked in a downpour. I just knew that my kilt be be at my ankles  after just one more step. Let me be the first to tell you that those tents don't begin to shed the rain when it comes down in buckets!

Shortly after the Parade of Tartans on Sunday, the park rangers stopped by and told us there was a radar report of a major storm due to hit in about 20 minutes - so much for weather reports. We started packing as fast as we could.....but, x@#*& wet again.
tom