Author Topic: Another great weekend in Maryville has ended.....  (Read 6876 times)

Mary

• Administrator
Another great weekend in Maryville has ended.....
« on: May 19, 2015, 06:52:32 AM »
For those of you who have never been to the Maryville, TN highland games...... you should re-think your decision! It certainly doesn't have the name recognition of Estes Park, CO or Pleasanton, CA but it is a surprisingly large games and has more vendors than most I've been to. It's held at Maryville College in a LARGE, flat field with good access and parking. I wanted to get some pictures, but on Saturday we were so busy talking to people I barely got out of the tent for a snack.......and Sunday, it rained. So, Sherry got some pictures and we'll put some online shortly (check the Facebook page too). At any rate, we had a great time. Clan Murray was on one side of us and Clan MacInnes on the other. The athletics, working dog demonstrations, and bands are in the field with the clan tents ringed all around. It's nice to see the clans having the prime locations - too many games (in my opinion) put the vendors first and the clans are almost an afterthought. Clans, societies, whatever you want to call them, ARE THE REASON the games are held and it's nice when we get to see some of them! Loch Norman does this too but many others put the clans into the hinterlands.

There were 8 or 9 bands in the massed bands which was really nice to see (and hear!) and 36 vendors. They also had pet adoptions, highland dancing competitions, fun competitions (Sherry competed in the Haggis Hurl), races, LOTS of music groups and you could hear it floating across the games....

If you thought it wasn't worth your time to come - YOU WERE WRONG and should put it on your calendar for next year!

AND............we believe that Clan Thom(p)son Society had the ONLY tent that had a POLE DANCER!!! Actually, she was trying to put a bungie cord up to hang our banner ....BUT.....if she could have hung on, Sherry might have made us a tidy profit as shown with the 'monetary exchange' in photo 2  ;)

« Last Edit: May 19, 2015, 07:10:05 AM by Mary »

Thomas B. Thompson

Re: Another great weekend in Maryville has ended.....
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2015, 01:20:01 PM »
Glad everything went well in Maryville. Barb and I really enjoyed our visit
there last year.
I'm still healing from knee surgery done in Jan. this year. One knee is getting
better and the other is getting worst, but I'm alive and the surgeon didn't
make one leg too much longer than the other one.
Looking forward to Estes Park but now that's depending on health and finances.
We will wait and see!
Hope everyone reading this is doing well.

Best Wishes,

Tom & Barbara

Barbara

« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2015, 08:06:31 PM »
Hey Tom, did you have bi-lateral knee replacements?  I feel for you if you did, been there, done that.  It's not much fun..... :-\

Barbara
"Kindness is the language the deaf can hear and the blind can see." - Mark Twain

Mary

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2015, 06:19:42 PM »
Hi Tom,

If you had bilateral, join the Thompson Knee-Replacement Group. Seems like our members do a lot of the two at once method...... Tom says you needed knee replacement surgery because when you were in Scotland together, you kept hitting your knees on the tour bus. I can't verify the truth of that.....and I wouldn't know which of you two Toms I would believe anyway!

Sure hope you get to Estes Park - I know how important that trip is to you guys and for the clan members to hassle you!

Mary

Thomas B. Thompson

« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2015, 05:49:50 PM »
Hi Barbara,
No just one at a time. VA won't do both at same time.
How are yours doing? Mine seems to be getting better--just a long recovery but then I don't have anything to compare to.

Hi Mary, your Tom is probably right, besides would 2 Scottish
Tom Thompsons ever tell a tale?