Author Topic: 22nd Annual Glasgow Lands Highland Festival  (Read 8146 times)

Stirling Thompson

22nd Annual Glasgow Lands Highland Festival
« on: July 19, 2015, 09:02:23 AM »
The 22nd Annual Glasgow Lands Highland Festival was held on Saturday July 18, 2015 at beautiful Look Park in Florence, MA. My daughter Michelle Benoit joined me at the games this time around. It was her first time at the games and she says she had a wonderful time and will do it again but probably not until October when I do the Scotland CT games.

The weather was typical New England July, overcast, hot and humid all morning. The opening ceremonies took place at 11:30 am and it seems we no sooner finished the ceremonies when the skies opened up with a very strong thunderstorm. Unfortunately, my tent isn't exactly waterproof so the display got pretty soaked even with the side panels on the tent. The storm lasted about an hour and then things started to dry out and get back to normal.

Surprisingly the storm didn't drive the people away at all and once the rain stopped we had a fairly steady stream of visitors throughout the afternoon. We had a good showing of clans in attendance and there were 19 pipe bands competing, including a Grade 1 band. Entertainment was headlined by Albanach, Prydein, Charlie Zahm, harpists and more. There were athletics and dance competition and sheep herding and weaving demonstrations. There were lots of vendors and food tents. I had a very nice chat with one of the ladies in a vendor tent about the Thompson clan and how everything available at the game with the Thom(p)son name has nothing to do with us and she suggested we should try to do something about that situation.

I met a number of Thoms and had some great conversations with them and I'm hopeful we may pick up some new members.

I sent my daughter out with the camera so I have lots of pictures this time.

The Clan village area...

Michelle making bracelets for the wee bairns...

Our next tent neighbor Angus MacPherson serenaded us in Gaelic and English. The instrument is a transitional instrument between the lute and the guitar.

Michelle was quite impressed by the women's shot put event...

And the dancers...

And the weaving...

And the harps...

The parade of clans...

Patty and Brienne Thomson stopped in for a nice chat...

Massed bands at the closing (all 19 of them)...

The full album is available on Photobucket here...
http://s1213.photobucket.com/user/StuT/library/Glasgow%20Lands%20Highland%20Festival%202015

« Last Edit: July 19, 2015, 09:41:02 AM by Stirling Thompson »
Semper Fidelis! Semper Familia!
Stu

Donna

Re: 22nd Annual Glasgow Lands Highland Festival
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2015, 09:42:18 PM »
 Hey Stu,

I vote to keep Michelle as your official photographer!  The photos are
   wonderful !!      Thanks for your effort too Stu, you always do a great
   job.

Donna   :D
ANY DAY ABOVE GROUND IS A GOOD DAY !

cheryllwith2ls

• Administrator
Re: 22nd Annual Glasgow Lands Highland Festival
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2015, 02:31:59 PM »
I second that! Can I borrow her?? haha :)
Love the pictures, thanks Stu!

-Cheryll
The best and most beautiful things cannot be seen or even heard. They must be felt with the heart. - Helen Keller