Author Topic: Women DNA testers  (Read 9767 times)

Dusevoir

• Core
  • Me
Women DNA testers
« on: July 23, 2010, 04:48:59 PM »
There are only a few DNA test done on women.  Has anyone had a Family Finder test? 

This is what "FamilyTreeDna" says about it. 

"The Family Finder Test helps you find family across all your lines, up to 6 generations back, by checking hundreds of thousands of points in your autosomal DNA, and comparing your results with others in the Family Finder database".

Thanks,
Barb
Old Genealogists never die - they just lose their census.

Mary

• Administrator
Re: Women DNA testers
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2010, 07:58:21 AM »
Sorry ---- I didn't see this post earlier.

I think Tom did the Family TreeDNA but the one for me.....not the one for women ;D  He did the 67 marker test and that's how we found out that there are about five of our members who are actually BLOOD RELATED back to the border area of Scotland!  Booner did the Ancestry test and we had a hard time converting his markers to the Family Tree markers to determine relationships......so if we can get our members to use the Family Tree program, it will be easier to compare. I don't know what the cost difference between the two is.....but we've been real happy with the FTM.

I wonder how long the results will take....did they give you any idea?

Dusevoir

• Core
  • Me
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2010, 07:11:17 AM »
It takes about 6 weeks from beginning to end.  I think the Family Finder is different than the Ancestry Test.  The test should give me names.  Hopefully this test will give me some answers. 

Mary

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2010, 12:16:34 PM »
Well.....keep us posted!  We'll know "all" when you get your test results!

Barbara

« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2010, 02:03:16 PM »
Hello Barb and welcome.  :D  I've been missing in action on the forum.....sorry Clan.  This DNA test for women sounds like something I might be interested in, can you give me a little more detail?

Barbara
"Kindness is the language the deaf can hear and the blind can see." - Mark Twain

Dusevoir

• Core
  • Me
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2010, 08:14:58 AM »
Hello Barbara,

Thank you for the "welcome"! 

Autosomal DNA testing will perform a scan throughout all your chromosomes.  "Autosomal DNA is inherited from both parents, and includes random contributions from their parents, grandparents, and so on. Therefore, your autosomes essentially contain a complete genetic record, with all branches of your ancestry contributing a piece of your autosomal DNA".

I hope this helps.  It should go back through 6 generations.  I've been checking out the forum on Family Tree DNA and it has helped a lot of people.  But, there are some that are not happy with their results. 

Even though I am excited, I am trying not to get my hopes up too much (well, maybe a little). 

Barb

Barbara

« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2010, 08:47:32 PM »
Thanks for the info Barb.  I can't wait to hear about your DNA results.  :D

Barbara
"Kindness is the language the deaf can hear and the blind can see." - Mark Twain